QU32 with Reaper

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU32 with Reaper

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

With Reaper being capable of having way than than 32 tracks…
    Is the only place to return the “Reaper Master” back into channels 31/32?
    As per the GSR24M where the digital return [Reaper Master] comes in on the channel 31/32

Of course it is all change-able in core audio (Mac) where you select the return channels however they are limited to the 31/32.

Thanks for any info… I have been away from this for a few months with Live sound and now playing catchup and the brain is a fog!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

In Reaper you’ll have the full freedom to decide which track to send where. You may send a stereo downmix back to the Qu as every individual channels (or anything inbetween). There’s a routing matrix (view menu) which allows easy assignment of these.
    …hmm, did you select the correct output device?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

sent you a PM
    I’m wanting to send a post channel processed track after the compressor into Reaper.using the QU fader to drive the level of recorded data into Reaper.
    I’m sure I have done this before with the QU16?
    Some people call it destructive recording.
    mmm I’m stumped here a bit. I’ll keep chipping away at it…
    I must have a setting wrong somewhere? In the QU
    any thoughts welcome

dave

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I found half the solution.
    Setup Tab/ USB audio. set the sends to direct out.
    Of course that means I can not drive Reaper midi faders at the same time as I need to be in the lower strip mode.
    I guess that’s the difference between a desk at twice the price being GSR
    Still the QU is simple and fantastic!

cheers
    any comments welcome

dave NZ

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, don’t think the send selection affects in which strip mode you are, channels continue to operate regardless if they’re currently mapped to the surface. Or do I miss something?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In the QU custom layer with all faders set to midi to control Reapers faders.. The QU EQ has no effect going to Reaper tracking. I have to switch back to lower Layer which is the analog into QU (to tweak EQ) of course.
    I am [within this particular studio job] mixing (ITB)in the box and so bringing the digital return from the Reaper Master back into channels 31/32.
    On my QU Lower layer I have all FOH turned off except for channels 31/32 and so that’s how I am monitoring (ITB) in the box mixing.

When in the ‘custom layer’ [Reaper tracking channels mapped to midi channels] you can not select (with the green select button) the QU lower layer (analog in) channel (to do QU EQ processing) as you are controlling the Reaper channel

anyhow it is all working and I can live with having to flip to the lower layer to adjust EQ

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, if a channel is switched to midi it does not control the analog processing. Not sure how many audio channels you wish to access concurrently, if its only a few temporarily mapping them to the custom layer may be an option…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes sure.
    I’m recording all 24 on the GSR and 18 on the QU at the same time.
    Pretty sure I have it sussed now.
    Thanks for your help and thoughts.
    I know for the PC I manually mapped everything however I’m running 2 MACs
    One on each system.
    keep you posted.

dave NZ

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Andreas
    This temporary studio system has worked flawlessly for 2 days now.
    Its a very fast way to work! and I can save the QU presets to a scene and then to a master folder later, where of course on the GSR24 its an analog/fire-wire board so you need to take a pics and document the desk setup.

The issue I have found is having to flip back to that lower mode to make EQ tweaks “per channel within the QU.

Now if the QU could do QU tweaks within the midi “custom layer” [all assigned from 1/1 through to say 24/24] this would be a very very good system.
    So I’m really talking ITB tracking here.
    And then of course you could either mix the song ITB (and out through Reaper’s digital return) or bring it back into the QU for further processing within the QU
    I guess some might call that OTB although there no is analog equipment involved.
    although I guess you could always put a processing unit on the main QU outputs and capture to another device?
    Generally, Once in digital I like to stay in digital.
    Anyhow … thought I would keep you up to date.

PS have you used soundforge for mac…?
    I have used it since the beginning but only on PC!

cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Nice to know you got your setup running, shows again how creative the Qu may be used…
    Never used Soundforge, with my first 8ch audio interface (end of last century) I got a bundle version of Samplitude5 and was impressed that it really could do 8+8 channels and I could retire my Tascam38…
    I somewhat stuck to Samplitude since, but it continues to grow and add functions so I switched to (dongle-less and portable) Reaper for recording now (still mixing on Samplitude).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.