QU32 controlling Studio ONe DAW

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU32 controlling Studio ONe DAW

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ferry Joshua Ferry Joshua 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ferry Joshua
    Ferry Joshua
    Participant

Dear All

Any one have experience to use QU series to control Studio One DAW under Windows OS?

Thanks

Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

There is no way to have a Windows machine control the QU or the QU to control the DAW on a Windows machine. All you can get is the tracks to your DAW via the USB-B port on the rear of the desk. You can have the DAW to return only a stereo track back to the desk via any of the inputs. On any given Sunday morning, I record our church services. I also send a mix to our camera so there is a clean audio signal going into the camera. I accomplish this by using the DAW to process the signal and send it from the DAW to the QU via ST3 input, then out Aux 9,10 to the camera. This way I can use the DAW to place a limiter on it so I have a strong enough signal for the camera. My Pastor likes to move the mic away from his mouth a lot, so this is the only way I have found to still hear him on the recordings.

I have a QU16, but I know the issue is that unless you have a Mac computer, you will not be able to use the control functions between a PC and the QU. Someone told me once that it is because Windows does not want to allow you that much control of their software.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sorry, no problem to control DAW from Qu or Qu from DAW even on Windows. But you need to properly configure your DAW to send and receive the correct MIDI events (See Qu Mixer MIDI Protocol). On Mac you have a driver which remaps the Qu MIDI events to the HUI protocol which allows at least faders controls (not much more).
    No idea if Studio One is configurable enough, though.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Tommy, must you use the DAW to process the mix going to the camera? Isn’t there already a compressor on Mix 9/10 that can be used as a limiter (10:1 ratio) and boost the signal (makeup gain)? I don’t see an advantage to going through a DAW, then returning the signal to the board and then outputting that signal to the camera.

Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

I just never thought of using the QU16 compressor. Before I purchased my QU16, I was using a TASCAM US-1800 Audio Interface to record with. When I purchased my QU16, I just used the template I had already stored on S1. I will have to reconfigure it now, but it does make more sense. I am still learning the recording side and still trying to learn the power of the QU16. Since all that is a side-line work, I don’t get to sit there and play a lot.

Thanks for that help! It will also make it easier to keep the recording going when I have to miss a Sunday.

Ferry Joshua
    Participant

Ok, thanks all for the inputs, I will try when my qu32 arrived 😉

Profile photo of nick
    nick
    Participant

You might be able to connect a Qu mixer to studio one, but it’s functionality very poor. The fader do not respond and writing or reading automation is impossible. I spoke to A&H tech about this and was bluntly told that they do not support Studio One. The Qu is a great mixer, but it’s a lousy DAW controller. I have had listed a 6 day old Qu-16 on eBay for bought for DAW control.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if A&H is the right company to ask for support on S1, I’d ask Presonus. Possibly after reading MIDI: External Devices/Control Surfaces Setup. Not sure how far S1 is controllable via MIDI, but from that page it seems to be highly configurable.
    And, if some DAW isn’t configurabe enough, there’s still Bome Midi Translator to perform the necessary mapping.
    The Qu can’t go further than sending and receiving MIDI messages for any existent parameter.

Ferry Joshua
    Participant

Oh thanks all
    So what your recommendation DAW for maximize function?

Br
    Ferry

Profile photo of nick
    nick
    Participant

Of all the DAW packages I’ve tried, Studio One is the only one that has these issues. The full level of control is faders, PAFL, Sel and mute. All will do that. Presonus and A&H have both told me the same thing regarding the unusable faders, it’s just something to do with the way Studio one works. They build their own dedicated DAW control mixer, the CS18ai, it only works with Studio One, so what ever they are doing, it is different.

Ferry Joshua
    Participant

Ok, hanks Nick

I am now considering Reaper as it low cost for me 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.