QU16 as Monitor Mixer for GLD112

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions QU16 as Monitor Mixer for GLD112

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Hello,
    Total noob here, apologies if this question isn’t new. I am using a GLD112 as our FoH mixer and recently purchased a QU16 for a portable system. My sales rep said that I could also use this board as a monitor mixer with the GLD112. I haven’t had much luck finding any resources explaining how this works. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Only way is analog split.

Due clock issues it isn’t possible to split in the digital world.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I thought one could use the AES ports for this very purpose ?

Giga

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

AES is just 2 channels.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Do you care to explain a little bit further GCumbee as aparently I don’t quite understand this then 🙁

Thanks !

Giga

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

AES as SPDIF is a 2 channel protocol. AES is a balanced format but assignable 2 channel on this console.

Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Thank you, everyone! That is what I feared. I’ve gleaned a lot of information lurking through this site. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

Does anyone know how the monitor port on the AR2412 operates then? Does it only work with another GLD board? I am a high school theater tech teacher and we have a student/faculty rock band that performs regularly where each song is, essentially, a different band configuration. All of my event techs are high school students learning the craft. Being able to split the monitor mix from the mains mix would allow us to reduce some of the stress on my team and also create more opportunities for live experience. We have a nice system and are running Dante for a lot of our equipment. The QU16 does not have a card slot but does anyone know if this could be possible through Dante?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

When used with a GLD board, the monitor port on the AR2412 is compatible with A&H’s ME system or Aviom’s monitor system. To use your qu-16 for a monitor mix, as others said, splitting your input cables so they feed both the GLD and the QU is what you should probably do. In addition you could create groups on the GLD board and cable the group outputs to inputs on the QU where you don’t need individual control.

Is there a reason you aren’t using the outputs on your AR2412 for monitor mixes?

Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Thanks, we are currently using aux mixes for our monitor through our AR2412. I am looking to break that into two and have one board at the stage for monitors and one FoH for the mains. Our currrent operation is great but I wnat to have more live opportunities for students to operate while also splitting the mix responsibilities. FoH student can concentrate on the house mix and stage student can concentrate on the stage mix.

If I understand correctly, I would need to invest in the ME system or the Aviom to accompish this? I think my sales rep was not 100% with me.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I don’t know anything about Dante, but maybe there is some sort of hardware Dante to multichannel analog converter that can feed your QU board. I’m surprised A&H or another company doesn’t offer an ME monitor port to multichannel analog converter. It would be similar to the ME hub, but instead of just distributing the ME protocol to the IEM units it would supply analog outs for all the individual channels.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You do have the option to mix monitors from an iPad, though that’s certainly not as good as a completely separate desk.

ME/Aviom would free up FOH from monitor duties. It will not provide the second job for a tech person though, but relies on the band setting their own mix, which in your situation is probably the last thing you want with changes of musician for each song. I work in music education too, so I know what the gigs tend to be like!

I’ve just recently built myself a 16 way analogue splitter to achieve what you want and it’s working fine. Just simply two sets of tails from a 16 way rack panel, with no transformers or anything. One set of outputs (usually used for the monitor desk side) has no pin 1 connection in order to to eliminate earth loop problems, so phantom needs to come from the other side. I was lucky, in that we’ve recently converted a studio from analogue to digital, so my box of used parts provided just about all the hardware I needed.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

When I go out doing PA hire with my colleague Howard, we do the same as, MarkPAman, the FOH board is an X32 and we split the signal using two 8 way Behringer MS-8000 analogue splitters, we will soon be adding a third to give us 24 channels. These link into my QU-SB so I can take away the stress of monitor duties from FOH, plus, and more importantly, I am not having to share a gain stage with the X32.

Before going down this route I would use the horrible X32 iPad app to control monitors, but as the FOH board channel gains are set very conservatively I would sometimes struggle to be able to give certain artists enough volume in their required wedges. But by alleviating all this now with our current setup has made a massive and positive difference.

The attached pictures show my QU-SB with two MS-8000 splitters above it in a rack.

Simple to set up and no audible detriment to the overall sound, nothing I can hear anyway.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.