QU Network Port with CAT5 to Mac

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU Network Port with CAT5 to Mac

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello all.
    I can successfully connect QU to my MBP (MacBookPro) Via Network Port USING CAT 5 Cable (NOT a router) to control software through the A&H Daw app.
    I could not get any audio to pass?
    So does that mean NO audio passes out of the NetWork Port?
    I know I can use USB B streaming however I’m looking to conserve processing power

Does the fact that I can send midi data over enternet mean the QU can or in the future be used as a surface to an IDR rack?

As per the middle of this page with the GLDĀ  https://community.allen-heath.com/archives/category/tipsandtricks ?

Thank you

Cheers
    dave NZ

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

The Network port on Qu mixers is only for control data. It doesn’t stream any audio.
    The main reason why the DAW Control driver allows TCP/IP connection is to work with GLD (which doesn’t have a USB B port).

Does the fact that I can send midi data over enternet mean the QU can or in the future be used as a surface to an IDR rack?

No I’m afraid. That would require a significant amount of software to be written to allow the Qu to connect to the iDR host via TCP/IP, and the messages of the MIDI strips to be user defined. Also although the MIDI Protocol might look similar in places, comprehensive iDR MixRack control is only possible through our proprietary AHNet protocol.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for that info.
    For anyone interested in what the heck i’m getting at here.
    A quick explain:
    I Run A GSR24M (firewire) into Mac book Pro and use the software Reaper.
    Reaper runs 40 channels being 1-24 of audio and the rest are effects, a bit like returning Effects to channels on a big desk.
    My mac book pro USB out puts drive 2 screens.
    I originally had the QU16 going into one of the USB to just drive midi data of the Reaper channels.
    I figured if I could get the net port driving the Mac book pro rather than through USB it would be easier on the USB ports.
    Then I got thinking hold on. Maybe the Network port sends audio as well?
    And there you go, it doesn’t send audio.
    However it is bi-directional and of course it must be for the App to control the QU in live sound.
    And that also answers why its not an easy thing to have a in ear monitor system from your iPad.

cheers

thanks
    dave NZ

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.