Qu-32 USB-B Streaming Produce Robotic Noise

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-32 USB-B Streaming Produce Robotic Noise

This topic contains 62 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TritonX
    TritonX
    Participant

“recording instead directly to a stand-alone hard drive, then off-loading recordings into the box.”

That’s not a solution that is abdication and not very possible with the workflow I had setup with the console, my laptop and cubase.

I am also in contact with Intel since A&H seems to not want to make it their problem.

They made it clear that Intel made a mistake in their xHCI drivers, then why doesn’t Intel(a huge company) want to fix this ?

I blame the manufacturer because they were aware of this possible issue and made no warning in the documentation about it.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The manufacturer of course being intel?

The desk is USB2, and it works just fine.
    Your USB3 chipset doesn’t support USB2 properly, that’s not A&H’s fault.

It’s not as if cheap laptops aren’t capable of recording a full firehose of data, in the studio then a proper USB2 port shouldn’t be far away anyway.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

https://www.ebuyer.com/654664-gigabyte-brix-mini-pc-intel-celeron-n2807-barebone-gb-bxbt-2807?a=1&utm_content=654664&utm_campaign=4072%7C2017-07-28%2008&utm_source=daily_deals_0&utm_medium=email&cid=4072&mid=212585637

£90 for a PC with USB2 ports – add a SODIMM stick and an SSD and you have a PC for <£200 which will record faithfully, and fits in a very small bag.
    Set up a VNC server and you can kick off the recording from your tablet, then mix away…

Profile photo of TritonX
    TritonX
    Participant

Oh yeah that will run a lot of vts…

I understand some of you are well meant when they suggest alternatives but if that’s what I’d wanted, that’s what I would have asked for.

Pardon my naivety for assuming that my top of the line brand new laptop would be more than enough to run cubase(with almost real-time effects) and a state of the art console.

I’ll try again to contact Intel next week since it is obvious that they should be the one fixing it and I never said otherwise.

BUT, if A&H engineer have an idea how to fix this… even if it means starting their drivers from scratch, maybe that’s what they should do. Because as someone else said, this is not a problem that will go away just by managing around it.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

vts?

Your assumption was that intel could actually code devices according to spec…

Some of us remember:
    “We are intel of borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.”

Profile photo of TritonX
    TritonX
    Participant

Well, apparently everyone with a Intel chipset7 is left behind, Got an answer from Intel. They know, they don’t care, won’t fix. A&H position is that there is nothing wrong with the QU so they aren’t putting much effort into fixing this as much as I understood.

Will try to boycott Intel but those f_____s are everywhere.

Those Ryzen look interesting suddenly. Guess I’ll go back to AMD for a while, like in my youth.

Profile photo of Jos
    Jos
    Participant

Same thing I’m aslo facing, I tried to recording 32 channels through USB B,but all the channels makes some noises, I’m using a Mac. Could anyone help me this ?.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi all, I’m guessing there’s still no fix for this.

I came across this issue when recording a live show with a QU-24 desk using an Allen & Heath Dsnake.
    I’ve attached 2 files to this post, one showing the full on noise issue and the 2nd is a section of a song that has very little of the noise.
    2 laptops were used and both had same problem.
    Tried different USB ports as well as different DAWs. Reaper (on Windows), Pro Tools and Logic (on Mac). All had same issue.
    48KHz, 24-bit, tried 512 256 and 128 samples.
    Signal chain was: 19 Mics >> Allen & Heath GL2400 >> Direct Outs >> Dsnake AR2412 >> QU-24 >> USB B >> Laptop.

Prior to the show, the noise was happening a lot but during the show it only happened a few times and stopped after a short time.

Someone suggested it might be a clocking issue. What do you think?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What firmware version are you running on the QU24?

Not that it is the issue but what function is the GL2400 doing in this set up.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Tried different USB ports as well as different DAWs.

did you try an USB 2.0 port?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Mike,
    I’m not sure of the firmware version. The Qu24 is installed in a venue 1.5 hours away from me, so I can’t immediately check. I’ll find out and make another post.

The GL2400 is running FOH and Foldbacks. The QU24 runs from the Direct Outs of the GL2400 purely for recording.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

did you try an USB 2.0 port?

Yes. 2.0 and 3.0 ports were tried. but there was no difference. The noise still occurred.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I only ever got that distortion noise when I used too many plugins on both PC and Mac [whilst multi-tracking]
    Can I ask what is the DAW you were using and was the same sample rate on the PC through all stages from USB ? To keep that the same as the QU ?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Mike,
    I’m not sure of the firmware version. The Qu24 is installed in a venue 1.5 hours away from me, so I can’t immediately check. I’ll find out and make another post.

The GL2400 is running FOH and Foldbacks. The QU24 runs from the Direct Outs of the GL2400 purely for recording.

Let us know the firmware version.

For the sake of checking have you listened to the outputs on the QU24 just to double check that they are clean.
    Also for testing make a multitrack recording on the Qu Drive and listen to those files.

Why don’t you use the QU24 for everything, it will do everything you need all with in the same board.
    GL2400 are fine boards, I have two of them but the QU does so much more.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For the sake of checking have you listened to the outputs on the QU24 just to double check that they are clean.
    Also for testing make a multitrack recording on the Qu Drive and listen to those files.

I did listen through headphones while recording and there was no problem at all. Also did a multitrack recording on the QuDrive and those files are absolutely clean.

Why don’t you use the QU24 for everything

The venue is run by a couple of old-school analogue guys who would like to solely use the qu24 but don’t have the skills with digital. I will be teaching them on using the qu but I feel I need to sort out this noise issue before saying it will work well.

For the recording, I used the QuDrive as well as a laptop in order to have essentially a redundant system if one were to fail. Glad I did because parts of the laptop recording (via USB) was unusable.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.