QU 32 enable stereo outs to be fed by DAW? Firmware update/request maybe?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU 32 enable stereo outs to be fed by DAW? Firmware update/request maybe?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Longy Longy 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

I vaguely remember reading that on the QU32, the ST1, ST2, ST3 aren’t available in DAW’s as Input/Output sources. Is this not something that could be changed by A&H?
    The reason being is that it would be nice to be able to avoid taking up outputs 31/32 for the main outputs from the DAW. I know this is possible on the QU16/24 but it’s something I think should have been carried over to the QU32 also. It’s not as if it’s a USB hardware limitation, I have had 48 ins/outs via usb with other interfaces, nor do I think it could be a software limitation with the QU32, sure it’s something that could be written in to new firmware? As I see it there are 6 wasted ins/outs on this board that could be of great use, especially in a studio setup when wanting to feed multiple sources with a 2 Track mix or even, more interestingly being able to do a 5.1mix.

Do you think this is something A&H would be willing to look at? It sure would be nice. I love everything else about the mixer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

QU 32 is a USB 32 X 32
    I agree the QU32 is really quite good as in interface.
    The flip side to this is I would like a simple USB ‘left and right’ USB send from FOH master to feed an ipad using the app FiLMic Pro.
    And you can not do that on the QU series.
    However you can on a ZED…
    The price we pay for progress. 😐

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Maybe I’m missing something and misunderstanding this.

It appears from the routing screen on my Qu-Pad app that all 32 USB outs can be freely assigned from every input (including the 3 stereo), the (4×2) effects returns, the 8 groups, the 10 mixes, the (2×2) matrix, L&R in mono or stereo, pre or post fade, and even the PAFL send.

Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

You can indeed route all 32 USB outs, but it’s not quite what I am getting at.
    In the DAW, you only have access to 32outs, there is no option to send via the DAW out of the USB to ST1, ST2, ST3. It would be nice to have this option, so as not to take up channel 31 & 32 for the main DAW output. It’s rather confusing to explain.

Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

Yup that is a pity NZdave. As said, I don’t know why the limitation tbh. It’s not as if the desk isn’t powerful enough to do this, it should be a 40in 40out at least.
    32 mono channels, 3 stereo channels and a LR stereo pair.
    This would enable you to utilize all the relevant ins/outs if using a DAW in the setup, allowing you to monitor the DAW output via sending the L&R main outs direct to the L&R main inputs on the mixer and not taking up two of the 32 channels (handy for metronome tracks/click tracks if needed).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Ah, I was indeed misunderstanding! I get it now.

Apologies.

Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

No worries mate, it’s confusing in itself and a mare to explain lol.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Longy

The aim for the QU series was to make the patching as simple as possible. So when it came to USB patching for the QU32 there was a choice between either 1-24 mono inputs plus the stereo channels, or 32 mono inputs. The USB in Qu is fixed architecture so there isn’t a way implement this in patch as everything works 1 to 1.

A work around could be to use the internal sound card on a PC and patch into a stereo channel that way, which means you would have 32 mono inputs and the DAW master mix. On Mac you can create an aggregate sound card to combine the internal sound card with the QU which could be useful if you wanted to return your channels to the QU at the same time.

Here’s a link for that: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202000

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

Real pity that, Alex. Seems like it’s an opportunity wasted to get the maximum out of a great desk. Surely if everything was 1 to 1 then you should be able to use the Stereo ins/outs as well as having access to the mix/matrix and main outs on the board accessable via daw also. Seems like it’s slightly crippling the device. I’m sure you guys could work out a rehash of the firmware to sort this, whilst also working on some of the other feature requests that people have been hoping for in the other forum section 😉

I am surprised really that someone in R&D didn’t think this through as it’s obviously not because of a USB limitation as USB can run much more than 32Channels bidirectionally with no issue, I’ve done this previously with Motu and ada’s. I’ve thought about aggregate devices but hate the issues that can crop up with it, would really rather not have to jump through hoops to get things running in the way they should.

Cheers,

Chris.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Longy,

Unfortunately due to the way the desk works it is not possible to add that kind of routing and just add extra channels. However we do listen to feature requests and implement everything we can that is feasible, so please keep them coming!

Out of genuine curiosity, what are you recording that requires 32+ inputs at once? We’d love to know what our users are up to!

Thanks,

Alex

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well it is not always about that having recorded 32 tracks at once.
    One of my scenarios I would use all 32 channels at once and bring the return PFL/solo from the iMac monitoring from iMac into ST1 or ST2. But is buried under a layer. Its a waste!

Another scenario is tracking 8 instruments on the right hand side say 25-32 and asound a mix return from 1-24 like in an over dubb but your putting that new data onto totally new tracks..
    So Remembering its not an inline recording mixer.
    And then to add a click track back into the desk there’s another Track gone.

So then comes the case of just wanting to FOH mix only into an iPad pro. record into the likes of FiLMic Pro.

I Need to be able to switch or turn off the 32X32 USB and make it simple 2×2 track USB.
    Sure you can manipulate the USB in the drive to output certain tracks here and there. Pre and post fader. But there is more to it than that from an iPads point of view.

Anyhow there’s my bleat! baa.

off to do a Christmas show.
    Happy Christmas!
    Keep up the good work.
    Next time you want to develop a surface layout… call me.
    we can talk about left hand over right hand operating a desk from an ambidextrous point of view. 😐
    Take a survey.. how many people use their left hand or their right hand to adjust EQ and move that fader they’re adjusting.

🙂

Profile photo of Longy
    Longy
    Participant

NZdave is pretty much spot on there with regards a couple of the scenarios.

As for myself, “what are you recording that requires 32+ inputs at once?”
    I have multiple synths and drum machines, not to mention effects pedals and other instruments. Quite often I will record midi for the vast majority of items that I can and then audio for those that I cannot. The drum machines on their own take up 16 tracks, that’s without any rerouting to deal with outboard effects as there’s not actual in-line insert points on the desk.
    I also use samplers (Akai S950/MPC2000xl) and I sometimes use external hardware sequencers and modular gear. There are also times when I have band members come up to jam/write/record. So for me, I very rarely (when it comes to anything midi or hardware triggered) print everything down track by track. Doing so often adds more latency when recording in to a computer and then attempting to monitor the recordings from the computer (which isn’t currently possible unless I reroute stuff due to no usb output to st1,2 or 3). So I like to rehearse/jam/record midi and then record at the very last stage, when it all is done and I am happy (any automation, sound manipulation and so on).
    Having those Stereo channels available would enable me to monitor any click/sequence that is coming out from my DAW and wouldn’t suck up any of the 32 channels that are currently accessible.
    It would also be nice to be able to use say Stereo 1 and 2 to send wet signals in to the DAW if I wanted to use outboard.

Now, with regards to your comments “Unfortunately due to the way the desk works it is not possible to add that kind of routing and just add extra channels.” The option is available on the 16 & 24 channel desks, so it’s obviously possible. You can, in the on board software route most things to many other places also. I don’t quite understand the real issue here, I suspect it involves a bit of work, possibly some adjustments in the desk software, which shouldn’t be a problem for engineers of the calibre that A&H have. There are multiple scenarios where opening up the access to those channels would benefit most users and if nothing else would help to make the board even more future proof.

I am sorry my description isn’t the greatest, but I find it really hard to explain my process on times as it varies greatly, all I can say is that the inability to use the Stereo ins/outs via the daw is an oversight that has impacted the way I work and I really don’t want have to rethink my setup and possibly shift mixers out for something else, as the board itself, is brilliant…..

I bet you good people could sort that, get your thinking caps on 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.