QU-32 dead fader motor

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-32 dead fader motor

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Patrick Patrick 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Used but new to me QU-32 arrived with one nonresponsive fader.
    Calibrate no response, hard console reset no change, firmware 1.93.
    How tough are they to replace?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Sounds like you’ll need to get that serviced.

nottooloud
    Participant

The answer is, it’s tough. Double sided bard with SMB components, very difficult to desolder. Pretty good chance of destroying the board by removing a fader. A&H recommended replacing the entire fader bank to another poster. That’s 16 or 17 $33 faders and a populated circuit board. $500?

Anyway, my fader #32 is now installed in place of my dead fader #2, and I take my new Qu-31 out to its first show tomorrow.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you link 31 & 32 does 32 still work as the R channel?

nottooloud
    Participant

Oh, interesting question. I’ll have try that. I’d guess not, because if you move either fader in a pair, they both do, and a missing fader reads as full up, +10, every time you change sends or layers.

For my own use, I always have 1 channel with an omni condenser plugged in at FOH to feed SMAART and to record hall ambience, so I don’t actually need that fader for anything.

Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick
    Participant

I know this is an old thread, but did you happen to take any photos while you had it opened?

FedEx just manhandled a QU-32 I bought used and faders 17-32 aren’t operating as motorized. Their position seems to be recognized, as I can move them in GEQ mode and see the white dot move, but they physically stay still upon mix changes. Wondering if you noticed a single power connector per bank that might have come loose in my case?

nottooloud
    Participant

Sorry, the only pictures I took were closeups of the motors, and the bit of pass-through circuitboard that I yanked out along with the dead one while learning how to desolder a double-sided circuit board. I ended up patching the through-hole with a really thin wire, and that mixer is still in service.

Profile photo of Chirag79
    Chirag79
    Participant

FedEx just manhandled a QU-32 I bought used and faders 17-32 aren’t operating as motorized. Their position seems to be recognized, as I can move them in GEQ mode and see the white dot move, but they physically stay still upon mix changes. Wondering if you noticed a single power connector per bank that might have come loose in my case? have the same problem in last night Live show..
    What is the solution..??
    Have the first time problem in 4 years on this bord…
    Suggest me the solution please…

Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick
    Participant

Very sadly, for all involved, my solution was to return the damaged QU-32 to the seller and buy a new Presonus 32S. Re-seating connections between boards didn’t solve the problem, so there seemed to have been deeper damage.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.