QU-24 Strangeness – Channel Allocations

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-24 Strangeness – Channel Allocations

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dcer10 dcer10 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dcer10
    dcer10
    Participant

Hi,

I recently was having some trouble with my QU-24 crashing all of the time (https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-24-crashing#post-63820) which I have resolved after uploading the firmware again. From doing this I have lost all of my settings, which is ok, but I think is the cause of my issue.

I am running Ableton Live with the QU-24 as the input & output device. I am using channels 1-16 as 8 sets of stereo line inputs, channels 17-24 as mono inputs and then ST1 and ST2 as stereo inputs, with ST3 as the USB input from the computer for the master mix out of the computer.

On the desk everything seems to be working fine however when trying to record in Ableton I’m having some strange things happen with the channel allocations. I have the following set up to mirror the desk in Ableton live’s input config windows:

1/2 (stereo)
    3/4 (stereo)
    5/6 (stereo)
    7/8 (stereo)
    9/10 (stereo)
    11/12 (stereo)
    13/14 (stereo)
    15/16 (stereo)
    17 (mono) & 18 (Mono)
    19 (mono) & 20 (Mono)
    21 (mono) & 22 (Mono)
    23 (mono) & 24 (Mono)
    25/26 (stereo) – ST1
    27/28 (stereo) – ST2
    29/30 (stereo) – ST3 master out from MacPro
    31/32 (stereo) ???

When I look at the input window for audio channels in live (on lives individual channel strips) I get the following

– When I sound a signal that arrives on any of the channels 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8, 9+10, 11+12, 13+14, 15+6, 25+26, 27+28 I can see the correct channels show an input level but also 17+18 show a level, there is nothing going into channels 17+18 (no FX, mixes etc being used)
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 17, I can see channel 17 registering the signal but also see the same input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 18 & 19 too
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 18, I can see channel 18 registering the signal but also see the same input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17 & 20 too
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 19, I can NOT see channel 19 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 21
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 20, I can NOT see channel 20 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 22
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 21, I can NOT see channel 21 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 23
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 22, I can NOT see channel 22 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 24
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 23, I can NOT see channel 23 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 25 (part of the stereo pair 25/26 but L pan only)
    – When I sound a mono signal that arrives on channel 24, I can NOT see channel 23 registering the signal but see the input level being shown in lives channel strips for channels 17, 18 and 26 (part of the stereo pair 25/26 but R pan only)

There are no complex settings in Live (file new, just looking at the audio from one of the audio channel strips)

On the source page on the QU-24 everything is local other than ST3 is set to USB B for input from the MacPro.

This is driving me nuts! I just want to be able to record the right channels in Live, which should correspond to their matching inputs on the desk, they used to do that prior to the firmware being updated.

One bonus question… What are channels 31/32 used for? I’d love to put all of the FX returns onto that pair and record them into Live separately, or to be able to have the actual channels recorded with their FX in place.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Clearly something is being sent to 17/18 and also the input numbers are being offset for some reason I don’t understand.

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I’d take a long hard look at your I/O screen if I were you. At the very least it seems the output of your DAW goes to channel 17 + 18 on the Qu

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of dcer10
    dcer10
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, I have attached the relevant settings from the Mac and also Live. I’ll also post some photos of the QU screens in a moment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dcer10
    dcer10
    Participant

Attached are the photos from the QU-24.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dcer10
    dcer10
    Participant

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

It’s really got me stumped!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

On the Qu, under I/O Patch, USB Audio, your channels 17 and 18 are assigned to L+R output. Change that to Ch17 and Ch18 respectively and see if that fixes your issue in Ableton. Then go to the USB Audio patch of channels 19-32 and see if they are patched correctly.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Once you have selected your channels for output to your DAW, have you hit “apply”?

Profile photo of dcer10
    dcer10
    Participant

Thanks, I was a bit thrown on the QU Drive outputs being assigned to 17-18 and seeming to look a bit different on the IO patch page. Changed them to 17/18 and then set up all of the 19-32 channels to their correct settings and now everything seems to be back to normal. I appreciate the assistance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.