QU 16 Power Off/ On

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 16 Power Off/ On

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter
    Peter
    Participant

Hello, First time posting here. Currently we are using a Yamaha Mixing Desk, which is powered off automatically each evening when the power is cut. It is reactivated in the morning at 7am when the power is restored.

I do this because it is connected to a PC which plays music throughout the day for our visitors, which also auto powers on/off. This mixing desk is located in the gallery and we are looking to change it for a QU16 so employees can use an iPad to select various microphones without having to go into the gallery which is empty most of the time. Likewise, once they are finished there talk they can quickly select the music setting.

Would the QU 16 be suitable for this. I want it to be entirely automatic. IE auto switch on/ off each day, similar to what is happening with our yamaha mixer.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Don’t see a big issue with this, as long the Qu is not configured to require a user to login first.
    Normally the Qu should to be powered down only after using the “shutdown” command, which places the desk into some frozen state to ensure there are no pending memory updates which may be lost. But if your desk is unattended anyway, there should be no pending changes which needs to be safed at all.
    The physical power switch is in series to the mains power connector, so plugging power externally or using the switch effectively is the same.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Powering down ANY software based device should be done according to protocol: select “shutdown”, wait for the OK, then turn off. This should be done with your computer as well as with any digital (computer based) mixer. Simply turning off the power to the device is aptly known as “crashing”. Don’t do it.

OTOH, you can simply leave the mixer powered up 24/7.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Why not use a QUSB or QUPac if you’re all iPad control? Same applies for powering.

Profile photo of Peter
    Peter
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’m hoping your right Andrease, time will tell when we get the unit in. However the nature of the building is such that someone cannot go a power it down manually each evening. That isn’t an option.

The computer is set to auto power down two minutes prior to the power being cut, pity there isn’t such an option on the mixer. Would make a good addition.

Would the device be OK to be left powered on 24/7?

Profile photo of Peter
    Peter
    Participant

What do you mean GCumbee? My thinking is such that, if someone has to power it down each evening it will be overlooked. I prefer it much better when everything is automatic.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

At least powering down the Mixer could be automated using the proper MIDI Sequence (see “Remote Shutdown” in Qu MIDI Protocol). All you need is a tiny tool which is started when the PC enters its shutdown sequence, connects to the Desk and sends the MIDI command. Could be done through network or USB. Sending a fixed data packet to a fixed IP address shouldn’t be too complicated to implement.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Peter.

I just meant if your operating this solely by iPad then why not get just a QUSB. You don’t really need the faders, knobs, display. Smaller unit to rack. Bigger engine.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Peter, I agree with GCumbee – a QuSB or QuPac would be a better choice.
    In fact, there are playback programs for PC that will automatically play music and do live inputs as well. Show Cue Systems is one such program that can do this very well. That way you will have only a PC to use and can eliminate the need for a console all together.

Profile photo of Peter
    Peter
    Participant

Hi everyone. Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason we need the mixing desk is because the building is a church, and often we do host events whereby we need the mixing desk. However, we attract over 180,000 visitors per year and the needs daily vs Sunday are different.

That’s why I need to take your suggestions and make them work with the QU desk in a fully automated way.

I will look into the programs you have suggested.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

While I usually shut the desk down properly, there have been plenty of times when over enthusiastic “helpers” have disconnected the power before I was ready, and one festival when a faulty generator kept tripping over. Once power comes back, everything’s fine again*.

But in this situation, I think I’d go for the option of leaving the desk powered up all the time, and use Show Cue, QLab or similar on the computer to schedule the music. I’d probably leave the desk in basic user mode, with QU Control running on an iPad/iPhone to allow some simple mic on/off & volume controls during the day.

* An old digital desk I had (not A&H) often needed a full system reset if not shut down properly and on one occasion it chucked out white noise at max volume when the power came back. Not something I want to go back to.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if I’d suggest a 24/7 operation of the desk with lifetime in mind, particularly the backlit LCD. If you go for 24/7 operation I’d at least add a fan (underneath the desk) to reduce internal temperature and extend lifetime of components like capacitors within the power supply. Just as a precaution.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d go with the midi shutdown. Clearly enough capability here to make that work, and on startup everything should be fine.

If the desk is unattended then it can be in ‘shutdown’ mode all day long – it still passes audio.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Friends…

The MIDI option is fine, but it doesn’t turn the console back on. Or does it?
    Seems unlikely to me.

Although this is a mixer-based forum, I think in this instance that Airickess suggestion in reply #63881 regarding using a PC-based program is likely the most practical.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Console will power on as soon the mains come back, the MIDI command does not actuate the physical switch, it just changes to the shutdown screen and locks the mixer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.