QU-16 Multitrack playing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 Multitrack playing

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of StrogiCentar
    StrogiCentar
    Participant

Hi guys!

Our band needs to playback multitrack files from lap-top (Windows 10, REAPER) to Qu-16 during live performance.

Each file has 2 stereo tracks:
    1. Stereo track – click for a drummer
    2. Stereo track – efects, synth, etc..

How to setup the USB-B (or QU-drive) port so that we can separately mix these 2 stereo tracks on QU-16.

Note: we have already installed ASIO driver for Windows, but only ST-1 or ST-2 or ST-3 channels can be chosen on lap-top’s “Playback devices”.
    So, we can not mix these 2 stereo tracks separatly on QU-16.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Look in the manual/user guide.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    StrogiCentar
    Participant

Dear,
    thank you for your prompt response, but from the answer I’m not sure if this is possible or I did not set up the system well?
    I have already read this instruction and installed ASIO driver exactly in the way as explained in the manual.

However, on the “Playback Device” Windows panel I can only select ST-1 or ST-2 or ST-2 stereo inputs.
    Therefore, the multitrack file (2 stereo tracks) from REAPER can not be mixed in QU-16, because but both stereo tracks are merged in ST-1 (or ST2-3).

Example:I wish forward “click” track to MIX1 and “music” track to MIX1 and MIX2.

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Not go a desk with me, and I don’t use Windows or Reaper 😉

But as a suggestion –
    How about if you convert each of your stereo tracks into a pair of mono tracks? I’d have thought you’d get all the Qu’s mono inputs as options then.

In fact, if Mix 1 & 2 are all you want to send them to, then you don’t need stereo at all, so could just have 2 tracks, Click & Music.
    But if you are also sending the music a stereo output, you could use Music L, Music R, & the Click (which is presumably mono anyway).

StrogiCentar
    Participant

Dear Mark,

thank you for your response and suggestion.
    We already tried with 2 mono tracks and played thru headphone jack on laptop to CH-15 and CH-16 mono channels. We are not happy because we want music track to be stereo. Yes, clicking can be mono. Another drawback of this approach is that the music card on the lap-top brings minor distortions (quality of the music card), so it is better to avoid it and use the USB port directly.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Yep, I understand that you want to use the USB B port for this.

As I say, I don’t know Reaper, or how it “sees” the interface with the Qu, but my guess is that if you have mono tracks rather than stereo, then you’ll find that the mono inputs of the desk show up as output options from Reaper.
    At the moment, you’re only offered the 3 stereo desk inputs as routing options, because you only have stereo tracks.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but it’s something I imagine you could test pretty quickly with one song, or even make a short test track 🙂

MarkPAman
    Participant

In fact, thinking about it, if I’m correct about the routing options, then you should only need the click track to be converted?

Send Music to St1 (or 2 or 3) and the click to Ch16. From there you can send the mixes where they need to go.

Is Music in ST1 & Click in ST2 not possible at the moment, as this would do what you want?

StrogiCentar
    Participant

Reaper is DAW software, like as Cubase, AudaCity, … It uses any playback device on lap-top.
    After installing A&H ASIO driver on lap-top I can use additional playback devices: QU-16’s ST-1, ST-2 and ST-3.
    But I can use only one playback device at one time.
    When choose ST-1 (or some other), I have only one stereo with L and R channels.
    They can not independently mix into MIX-1 and MIX-2.

MarkPAman
    Participant

In that case it’s something in Reaper I guess, as all the DAW’s I’ve connected have seen all the inputs on my Qu, and can be assigned per track.

You are in the correct routing section to route each track are you, not just routing Reaper’s main out?

StrogiCentar
    Participant

Do you use MAC OS or Windows?

MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m totally Mac based now (for anything to do with music) – have been for about 8 years.

So, as I can’t try any of this for myself, and am only guessing based on the fact that most DAWs have the same basic features (and I’ve just taken a quick look at the Reaper user guide), I’ll leave this to somebody who knows Reaper on a PC.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.