Power Consumption QU-PAD App

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Power Consumption QU-PAD App

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hobsound hobsound 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wolferl
    wolferl
    Participant

Hey there,

I use a QU-SB live on stage controlled by Qu-PAD / IPAD 3 (IOS 9). I charge the IPAD cont. with a 2A Charger but it losses state of charge. Not much but maybe 2-4% in one hour. My feeling is that the energy consumption of the App QU-PAD (and Wifi and Display of course) is very high. Battery of the IPAD is o.k. If I use the origin Apple charger it is slightly better (no loss of soc but no charging).

Any Ideas?

Thank you and regards,
    Wolferl

Profile photo of Hoody
    Hoody
    Participant

Hi,
    never run an ipad on continuous charge as it is not good for the battery even though they are L-ion.

Like anything else you need a charger with the correct power rating, I belive 2.5 amp for Ipad2

The biggest drain is the screen of course and its brightness so for a lower consumption of the charge lower the brightness.

Finally I always have a fully charged power bank to hand as I use my Ipad away from the desk and power supply and if the unthinkable happened and I forgot to charge my Ipad fully I can still be portable with a power bank!

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of hobsound
    hobsound
    Participant

I too noticed that my iPad Pro would last about 2 sets when used with my Qu-SB. Using the supplied charger did nothing but stem the drain. It wouldn’t charge unless I put it to sleep.
    I did some research and read about a new charger from Apple that has a USB C port on it. I bought that plus a USB C to Lightning cable, and it does charge the iPad while in use.
    I can look up the PN if you need it.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Both my Ipad mini and my Ipad Air last a full gig including preparations and soundcheck on 1 charge. I have brightness on about 50% and both “airplanemode” and “don’t disturb” on.

I seem to remember IOS 10 uses less power then IOS 9.

Giga

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I can do a sound check and 1hr 30mins of stage time and still have over 50% of battery life left on my iPad Air that is running at 100% brightness.

I did an outside gig back in August last year for a Ukulele festival, QU-16 was on stage whilst I sat amongst the audience. I had made a schoolboy error and left my apple charger at home, I managed to do around 3.5/4hrs before I was down to the last 15%.
    So to keep me going until my partner turned up with another iPad I had to run a very long extension power cable around the perimeter to where I was located to keep the iPad plugged into 240v power so I could charge the battery whilst working.

When I use my iPad it is never set to “Airplane” mode.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes power consumption is really bad on iPad Pro.
    In fact testing yesterday with the USB and Ethernet adapters connected with QuPad running the charger couldn’t keep up

So @Rob if you could supply that part # that would be a good start to sorting this issue out?

NZdave

Profile photo of hobsound
    hobsound
    Participant

NZdave,
    The Apple PN is MJ262LL/A, and you’ll need the USB-C to Lightning cable with it, MKQ42AM/A.
    As I said, I ran this on Saturday with my iPad Pro and the Qu-SB and it actually charged during the breaks when I wasn’t mixing from the audience.
    Worth the $60 it cost me for both. Bought them on ebay from 2 different sellers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.