Possible to use High Pass Filter for monitor mixes only?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Possible to use High Pass Filter for monitor mixes only?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 7 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

I was watching a video on mixing live sound (on CreativeLive, which was great btw). The sound engineer gave a tip to use a HPF (cutting 100hz) on everything except bass and kick, in the monitors.

Is this possible with the QU? If it is, I don’t know how to do it. I can apply the HPF in the PEQ for a channel, but I think that is for FOH too?

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

It will effect both FOH and the monitors, but that’s a good thing. The same principle applies to FOH: you want to clear out 100 Hz and below for the bass and kick so that they can be heard more clearly.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

There is a PEQ and GEQ on each of the mixes. Select the mix and processing view.
    Though yes, in general HPF on channels with little bass content helps to keep bass spill out of everything.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Yes, you have both PEQ and GEQ on the buses, but you do NOT have HPF’s. You can use a low shelving filter, but it’s not the same.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Not sure you need an HPF on a mix if you’ve applied this to the channels that need it. You just apply PEQ and/or GEQ as needed to deal with the response of the monitors and their acoustic environment.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

After more than two years of repeated requests I can’t figure out WHY A&H has not added this feature to mix busses. It’s not like it’s that hard to do since the algorhythm exist on the individual channels.

We haven’t had a firmware update in a LONG time. This concerns me. But being unresponsive to users troubles me more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.