Portable Rack Case for QU-SB

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Portable Rack Case for QU-SB

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JamieF JamieF 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JamieF
    JamieF
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve ordered a QU-SB mixer from our local music store. As I’m waiting for its arrival, I’m trying to determine what rack case I might be able to use which would allow the lid to be closed while still having XLR cables plugged into the front of the SB. I am using it for an on stage IEM mixer and splitting off to the FOH. This is why I’d like to leave the XLRs that go from the board to the splitter plugged in. I’d appreciate any insights / feedback on what’s worked for you.

Thanks for your time.

Jamie

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Whatever you do, make absolutely CERTAIN that there’s proper air flow through the case for cooling. Mr. Mbirame will testify to what happens when heat is trapped in the case.

I think you’d have to add some ports to the rear cover and consider installing a muffin fan to exhaust the hot air. All elctronic devices produce heat. Trap it and you risk thermal shut-down.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Indeed. In fact just this last weekend after a 7 hour session the unit shut down a couple times again. And to be clear-I have never tried to use the unit with the lids still on. I would definitely not recommend that! I positioned a large fan at the rear of the rack and it dropped the DAC temps down to around 58C (after hovering around 76C for most of the day). After this last week, I am now going to invest in one of these for the rack (I’m not sure which brand I will get yet):
    https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDPLATE-cooling-Network/dp/B00ZQPDB7I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Profile photo of JamieF
    JamieF
    Participant

Sorry, I should have clarified that I don’t intend to leave the lid closed while using the mixer. I would like to be able to leave the xlrs in the QU (from the splitter also inside the rack) when it is in transit. So I’m wondering about a rack case that will accommodate that room.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I extended my own flight case for a previous mixer, just made the lid rather deep (really easy)…

The same should be possibly for any flight case, but I’d be looking for a deep lid if you can (or right angle xlr plugs)

Profile photo of JamieF
    JamieF
    Participant

Thanks Bob. May I ask how you made the lid deeper?

Regards,

Jamie

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Wooden flight case, drilled out the rivets on the side panels and replaced the wood with deeper sections…

Painted the inside matte black and used sticky backed vinyl for the outside.

The butterfly catches were mounted on the case, the hook was flush with the surface of the lid, embedded in the profiled rim.

I also got some cheap aluminium profile which I put at the corners, just held in place by the existing profiles…

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

If you have a wood rack-why not just remove the rails and remount them further back in the rack?

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Jamie,

I ended up getting an EWI effects case, https://www.audiopile.net/RUE-Series-Rack-Cases . I needed the 10″ rear depth for other units I have in the rack. Maybe that depth helps with ventilation, because I have a power amp in that rack for monitors.

The lid depth is just good enough that I can leave XLR and 1/4″ cables plugged in. I did end up changing some xlr cables to right angle where the insertion angle can be changed to something like five different positions. You can easily find that right angle cables can block access to other channels, so I use them in limited fashion and have to experiment. I got the xlr right angle plugs from audiopile.net also.

Barry

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

In my case because the desk (Berry DDX3216) was a lot deeper than the previous (Soundcraft RacPac).

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I managed to pick up this shallow SKB case from one of the music gear selling groups on Facebook last week, only by chance I came across a seller from my part of the NW of England that had advertised this case for sale some months ago, but hadn’t attracted any interest. I managed to get it for £30.00.

The lid is deep enough so I can keep my ethernet cable and USB thumb drive plugged in permanently. It isn’t big enough to house any other rack units, but that wasn’t the goal in this instance, and there is hopefully enough ventilation to prevent premature shut down.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of JamieF
    JamieF
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will let you know how I make out!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.