Pops on Power up and down

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Pops on Power up and down

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PBo67 PBo67 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Markus
    Markus
    Participant

Hello to all,
    is there a chance to invent a “soft” power up / down to SQ to avoid the really loud audio pop at on startup and teardown?
    Especially thinking of power loss during show, this could be really a problem, or am i missing something?
    Greetings, Markus

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Most all equipment induce pops. That’s why we use sequencers or have power up and down procedures. Mixer on first, off last. Works every time.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I use always, ALWAYS, an UPS for my mixers. That prevents me against accitently power loss on the mixer.
    On the other hand I was also disappointed that the SQ do not have relays on the outputs like the GLD.
    Currently I use the GLD stageboxes and those have output relays. So the do not produce popps on shutdown. Hopefully the DX will work the same way.

Profile photo of Markus
    Markus
    Participant

cool,
    this is a good thought, i will try with DX, but what i see on power up, other than other consoles
    even from A&H like dLive and QU, i see the pop even on master out LEDs, so it seems to be introduced
    not only in physical outs but also in the logical busses …
    And listening to what happens it´s far more level than i expected.
    We´ll see.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

we switch on the entire system, including the console, with one button.
    there is a light “plop”, also when switching off.
    it’s not pretty, but it’s not tragic.

Profile photo of Ash
    Ash
    Participant

Hi
    We have just installed a dlive.
    We utilise a power sequencer, but still get pops as the dlive and mix rack boot up, even if all mix masters are muted.

I’m considering extending the time on the sequencer to ensure all amps switch on after the dlive and mix rack are booted. This wouldn’t be a major hindrance as the dlive needs to boot up anyway.

I assumed that with relay muted outputs there really shouldn’t be any pop noises.

Has anyone had a real solution to this issue?
    At moment extending time delay might be only solution. Just curious why it happens even with relay muted outputs?

Cheers

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

I try with a DX stage box where FOH and Monitors are connected, the ploc is significantly less than if we are connect directly to the console.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.