Phase switch for outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Phase switch for outputs

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alie Leite Alie Leite 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stringbreaker
    stringbreaker
    Participant

In some situations I find it useful to reverse phase on floor wedges. A phase switch would save me some cables and provide easy A/B.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sure.. it’s Christmas.
    Add it to the wish list with high low filters on the outputs.
    QU 32 has heaps of horsepower.

Did anyone see this? 😐
    Gave me a smile

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Xyz – Cool. Good competitor for QSC Touchmix 8.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh I cant take the credit for that.
    It was on A & H facebook page.
    Someone else had created it.
    I just looked and thought ….
    nice 😐

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

If they put the preamp section to the correct place, I’d like to buy one 😉

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

yes I would use one as well. so thats 2 sold 😐

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

“In some situations I find it useful to reverse phase on floor wedges. A phase switch would save me some cables and provide easy A/B.”

The proper term is polarity, not phase. Yes, a reversal of polarity will produce a virtual 180 degree change in phase, but it is the polarity reversal which does the job.

Audio phase is a time-based relationship. You cannot reverse or invert time. It has been common to refer to this reversal/inversion to be referred to by the effect, but it is not correct. The cause should be the applicable term.

A&H are one of the few manufacturers getting it right. Please note in all the literature and labeling for the Qu the proper label…POLARITY…is used.

That said, I prefer to invert polarity on a “per wedge” basis rather than “per mix”.
    I often have more than one wedge/mix and switching things at the console may or may not work for both wedges.

There are a lot more useful things I’d like time spent on than something of mere convenience and limited/questionable application.

Profile photo of stringbreaker
    stringbreaker
    Participant

Ok, polarity, I stand corrected.
    Anyway, to me it would make sense. More than polarity switches on the inputs for my applications.

Dick Rees
    Participant

What do you (hope to) accomplish with the polarity reversal? That’s the question.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I’m curious too, is it an anti-feedback trick ?

Giga

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Yep

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I Would love to see a Qu-8. It would replace my Zed for really small stuff. I would need an AR84 to go with it, and would buy both in a second.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I was watching some Youtube vids today and it phase flipping can be done: https://youtu.be/RPazc4-YDA0

Sorry Dick, polarity

Giga

Dick Rees
    Participant

Giga, et al…

In re polarity reversal on monitor wedges, I’m still waiting for the OP to reply as to what is hoped to be addresses by the application. Mervaka offers the likely explanation regarding monitor wedges, but it is not certain if reversing polarity will help or not…and not predictable without a lot of time spent in analysis, time which is not really available in your everyday usage. Having the ability to A/B the result of polarity reversal is very desirable and being able to do it (and un-do it) with a button push is preferable to reversing the banana plug on the amp output or swapping in a barrel adaptor for active speaker feeds. BUT…

Since the odds of polarity reversal increasing headroom are unpredictable and fairly low odds, we might assume that improved clarity at the listening position is the objective. The interaction of the wedge in question with the other sound sources on stage MIGHT be helped by reversing polarity, but again, the odds are low and less than predictable. So what can be done?

Move the wedge. Simply re-positioning the wedge will alter the phase relationships of the various frequencies in the wedge mix in regard to the other sources of sound on stage.

“But I can’t move the wedge. There isn’t room. And I still can’t A/B things for comparison.”

All true, but if you simply use DELAY on the MIX, you achieve a virtual “movement” which is more adjustable than a simple polarity reversal and verifiable via A/B’ing your adjustment by taking the delay in/out. The ability to “sweep” through the phase relationship allows actual frequency specific issues to be addressed and A/B’d.

If this is what the OP was after, it’s better done with delay and is already available on the console as is. Thus I see no need for polarity reversal on a mix out…unless there’s some other result being sought.

DR

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I hope my remark didn’t come of like a stab at you Dick.

The suggestion to add some delay seems like a good idea to me that I’m gonna try out one day.

Giga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.