Phantom with channel select on softkey

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Phantom with channel select on softkey

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arbuster Arbuster 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of M Van Houten
    M Van Houten
    Participant

Looking through the soft key options (not all that many really) there are a bunch that don’t seem overly useful.
    How about a +48v assign on soft key option?…
    Hold the soft key and press channel select for phantom power on/off.
    The ch sel light should indicate each channels phantom power status while holding the soft key.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ooh – good idea…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes good idea!

The ch sel light should indicate each channels phantom power status while holding the soft key.

I was thinking and maybe have said that it would be good to have a total turn off of all phantom as well.
    However a softkey that showed what is instantly phantom’d says it all.
    I have found it really easy to quickly mute channels so I dont mind loosing a softkey.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

As a current workaround, you can copy the preamp and paste to channel sel keys

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Doesn’t that take the preamp gain with it though?

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

@bob, even it copies the Gain as well, that doesn’t matter because when you turn on Phantom you need to adjust the gain anyway!

I think this softkey option would be more a difficult feature due no one really knows how it should work without reading the manual!

Profile photo of M Van Houten
    M Van Houten
    Participant

Why would nobody understand without a manual? It’s standard on other consoles and called something pretty simple like “Set to sel[+48v]”

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Nothing wrong with people having to read the manual…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes Bob agreed. study is the answer
    My thoughts…
    To set a soft key so that you can visually see what channels have phantom on would be a plus.
    And then to be able to select instantly [via depressing channel strip whilst holding down that programmed softkey] what channel requires phantom would be even better!
    Off course as a QU owner/user has to select a soft key to do this function, so as I see this, only users whom have read the manual know what this is about anyhow.
    This would be a leap forward to making this series of A & H mixers outstanding.
    “a soft key to ‘show’ what channels are phantom’d”
    and to be able to phantom or de-phantom at the touch of a channel!?
    bit of a rave there huh?
    [anything to get rid of pops and clicks]

And to add to this… whilst holding down that ‘soft key’ if you depress ‘RESET button’ it turns all phantom OFF on every channel.

word of the week ‘de-phantom’ ‘phantom’d phantomed ?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just for comparison this is equivalent to the existing “pre/post” configuration for mixes…

I’m sure there are other functions that use the sel indicators in this way as well (and if there aren’t maybe there should be – hold the compressor “in” button and it lights up channels with the compressor enabled etc?)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The mind boggles at that thought!
    TO HOLD DOWN OVER A SECOND?
    compressor
    gate
    maybe that’s a really good idea? as to see whats gated, comp’d etc…
    after all the likes of myself are so used to ‘seeing’ visually what is happening on each channel.
    I watched an incoming engineer “do his thing” with great enthusiasm tapping delay and working the desk this last weekend.
    Quite dubb-ish..
    it was like a breath of fresh air!

so
    to be able to see and hold hold at the push of a button what channels have what happening…
    so if you hold any comp you can see what channels have comp
    if you hold gate you can see what channels have a gate
    anyhow
    cheers
    just a few thoughts

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Have a look at Soundcraft’s “interrogate” feature. Does exactly what you’re describing with each processing block: +48v, pol inv, hpf, gate, peq, comp, and routing to LR + M. It makes engaging the hpf on multiple channels really quick.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

No thanks
    I’m really happy with the qualtiy of sound of my 6 Allen and Heath QU mixers
    They sound really great!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Nothing wrong with looking at the UI of other devices – some of them might even have useful ideas…

He didn’t say you had to buy (or even listen to) their desk…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Apologizes if I seemed a bit abrupt.
    I don’t have the luxury of time to check out the nitty gritty of other brands.
    I’m committed to the A & H brand and do not want those coveted wishful thoughts from other brands.
    I’ll gladly take a slap with a wet fish.

However I do spend a lot of time experimenting with ideas of connecting Reaper with QU in mac and also using Ipad from the Airport Extreme I have with the new Qu-Pad 1.7
    Reaper [DAW software] will remotely control faders in the Custom Layer (only) via the router, however the iPad custom layer will not move faders set-up to midi (on custom layer) within Reaper Software.

It nearly had me very exited yesterday!

Anyhow new day here. The Sun is out in force,

cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.