OK turn it down… :)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions OK turn it down… :)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

The small meter in the master section (not the large meters) has a red “Peak” LED and occasionally blinks indicating clipping, but without the middle green zero db led even lighting up.

I am assuming that this is showing that there is too much level entering the LR master section.
    There is no mention of this in the manual but I assume that’s what is going on.

SO, if the red PK led blinks,… lowering the master level will not make it go away, you will need to lower all the input faders equally to maintain balance and then slightly raise the master fader to make up the gain for that mix.

If anyone from A&H could confirm this it would be great,
    Dan

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Dan,
    Isn’t that the peak band rta thingy that came with 1.4?

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Do you use a compression on the Main? Maybe the input-level is too high – thats why it does clip but the main output lever is still lower than 0db on the console!

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

could it be that this shows clipping on another bus/layer (monitormixes, fx-sends)?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Robbocurry, the red led I am talking about is not on the RTA,
    it is the small meter just below the master PAFL button, but the RTA is rather nice 🙂

eotsskleet, I don’t have a compressor on the mains, I do use main compression sometimes though.
    This red peak led is coming on to indicate that the input faders are overdriving the input section of the stereo L/R master.

andiabwaerts, that would be nice if it did, but it doesn’t behave like the GLD does where the various layers have clip lights next to the layer button warning us of clipping on other (non-selected) layer.

experiment for yourselves, run a signal into just one input and set the gain nice and healthy but without any clipping,
    then slam the fader for that input all the way up to +10db….. with the master fader completely off, (all the way down) the peak led will illuminate,…. lowering the input fader will make the red peak led go out.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’ve noticed this sort of thing happening on the input channels, not the master.
    I think the channel strip peak light will come on if there is a peak somewhere in the signal chain.
    On the channel that i noticed it on, the peak was occurring after the eq, before the compressor. The EQ curve in question had some boost in it and the compressor was pulling the level down so the physical channel meter above the fader (post processing, pre fader) had the peak light and signal present lights on without the 0dB light.

robbocurry
    Participant

Hmm. Saw it on playback from the QU drive. Lots of lights and lots of them red. The signals are definitely not in the peak range and a lot of them are uncompressed. Like I said, I thought it was some peak frequency or channel indicator. Never saw this before v1.4. In fact I thought it was mirroring the metering page, red indicating the peak channel at that moment as I don’t run my channels that way.
    Just my 50p worth:)

robbocurry
    Participant

Fader flip mode on the geq is where I’ve seen it before:)

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Do a test of just one signal going into one channel,
    set it’s input gain pretty hot, but not enough to hit red on that one channel, and set the fader to zero db…
    now set the master L/R fader to zero db also,
    with absolutely no processing of any kind anywhere, there will be identical level on both input and master fader meters.

Now,…. put the input fader all the way up,… even though there is no clipping in the input channel, you will see a red clip on the small (3 led) master meter. This is because it is overloading the input to the master section.
    We all need to remember that if we use 24 inputs with good healthy, but safe input gain, there will be a massive build up of gain at the master. This is completely normal and would happen on any console, analog or digital.

Dan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.