Noise while adjusting preamp gain.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Noise while adjusting preamp gain.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

My QU32 makes a noise while adjusting preamp gain, best described as a digital clicking sound. It’s loud enough to be heard while making gain changes with the fader up. It can be seen on the meters as well as heard through the outputs.
    Happens on all channels using both the preamp encoder and the main encoder by the screen. Happens with or without phantom. This is with local inputs not dsnake.
    Is this normal for the desks or have I got a fault? Otherwise no problems with the board, only a month old and issue been there from new.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My QU16 does that. I don’t think my GLD does or as bad. I have heard it on other dig consoles and some very expensive recording mic preamps.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Thanks that’s a bit of a relief. Didn’t bother me too much but a few other engineers have used the desk and commented on it recently.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

We used to call it zippering. It is annoying especially if you’re live recording and need to tweak the preamp some. Like you said. You can just adjust with no signal and see a reading on the meter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.