Noise in streaming and USB

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Noise in streaming and USB

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ELIS ELIS 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SamO
    SamO
    Participant

We have the GLD80. We are pushing a stereo matrix mix out to our Livestream, and doing an audio recording on the desk USB. Our problem is, we are getting really bad static noise in these mixes. Not to the Mains, but to the Livestream and USB. What can be done to fix this? Or is it a problem with the desk itself?

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

Are you using a matrix to feed the livestream ? If so, try routing it Pre-Mains LR and set the matrix out to unity. aldough I think you are running all levels relativly low if you have noise on outputs.

Regards,
    Pascal

Profile photo of SamO
    SamO
    Participant

I switched it to a Stereo Aux so we can have a separate mix for the Livestream… We are still having the issue. The noise isn’t going through the mains, just the aux to the Livestream… Starting to think it’s that computer.

Profile photo of nasi
    nasi
    Participant

Do you have same ground for GLD and computer? What’s your recording setup?

Profile photo of SamO
    SamO
    Participant

The grounds are different. The two systems are in different rooms. Our video recording setup is Livestream Producer with a direct RCA audio feed from the board through a stereo aux bus. We typically pull the audio recording from that system, however we would like to just record straight from the board through the desk USBs. This is setup with another stereo aux bus. Both recording options are getting constant static, but the static to the USB recording is much louder.

Nothing to mess with right before Christmas services, so I will work on it after. It seems that it started happening after a Firmware update to the board. An option is to backup, factory reset, and restore from backup to see if it’s a software issue.

Profile photo of ELIS
    ELIS
    Participant

Noise on “line in” audio has two causes:
    1) computer’s low quality power supply generates 50-60 hz noise that goes into USB ports.
    2) ground loops because the source and destination run on different ground connections.

I had this issue and I solved it by running a thick simple electrical cable between the RCA “-” (mass) connector of the computer and the ground of the console (eg. sleeve of a 1/4 jack).
    Also you may want to use a double conversion (aka online) UPS for your entire sound system.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.