New console ideas

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New console ideas

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andrescarbonel andrescarbonel 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have had customers ask me what A&H is doing as for a new console. I tell them the dLive was the last new one. But obviously their curiosity is what lower price model might be forth coming. I tell them I have no idea. From the QU through GLD to D and iLive the market is pretty covered. We’ve been able to get most all of the most requested things added. Sure, there are a few things that would be nice but I understand they just can’t add everything.

If I had a request for a new board what would it be? Hmmm. I could think of several things but most of all I think I would like an improved QU16-32 with at least a single minimum 6 digit scrabble strip. It could just be segment type like say on Avid SC-48.
    Wouldn’t have to be LCD or anything else. That’s been one big complaint even with less
    layers. Still would be nice. Maybe a 48 channel engine? Yes. I have ran out a few times.

Others chime in. What would you like in a new style or design?

Don’t get me wrong. Love the QU’s and GLD. Own both. Wish I could justify a dLive. Just looking forward.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

A console targeted also for studio use needs to run at least at 44.1 and 48kHz (to avoid resampling for CD production) and should integrate into a studio master word clock.
    For live use accepting the Monitor output of a dSnake box as digital input would be nice as well (monitoring use).

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Personally.
    I’d want a QU-16 Surface…

i.e. reliant on a stagebox for most audio inputs.
    I’d appreciate an Alt-Out, headphones and ST3 remaining local.

The other thing I’d like in it though – are the brains of a QU-32, so it would take more layers, but that’s relatively easy.

The extra layers also suggest Digital Scribble strips…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I would love a modern R-72 with the ability to use it as a remote control for studio use and to have a small studio stagebox system that is network based (Dante, AES67, AVB) and has 2 to 4 mic inputs per device, POE, one headphone amplifier

an option for a bigger dsp stagebox for the heart of the studio with analog and digital I/O working as a monitor controller

the surface should have a headphone socket, talkback mic, scribble strips or a small display for the names and colors, a big volume knob, switches for source selection, a hardware keyboard, Jog/Shuttle and transport keys

the S3 system comes to mind…

the layout of the Qu-16 is really great as a controller,
    but it misses some features for serious studio use, like sample rates other than 48kHz, digital I/O
    in project studio use and live recording it is a great system

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ooh – cascade able low cost stage boxes?

Qn ME-1, but with a few local inputs?

Or switched teeny tiny stage boxes? POE 1-4 inputs and a single output (switchable between line or headphone amp)

Profile photo of dickiefunk
    dickiefunk
    Participant

I’d like something smaller with touch screen control along the lines of the QSC Touchmix. Also, I’d love to have the D-Live audio quality and performance in the QU-PAC format. Maybe a D-PAC!?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

cascade able low cost stage boxes?

Qn ME-1, but with a few local inputs? YES great idea!

Or switched teeny tiny stage boxes? POE 1-4 inputs and a single output (switchable between line or headphone amp)

So are we seeing the request for cat 5 stage boxes?
    Thats how I see stages…
    Or is there a whole range of digital wireless about to come of age?

My mixer request is for a Qu/dLive studio version
    however .. 16 channel desks have been the biggest selling desks in the world!
    The mouse still rules.
    I would like a USB port to plug a mouse into a desk with multiple screens on a mixer removing the requirement to use external computers and to be able to do editing within the one desk domain. {maybe external screens?]

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

allowing us to color code the input channels on the Q-Pad app would be nice,
    I think the Apple i-Pad has a color screen.

I have been, and will continue to beat this dead horse.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Well if we were to be allowed to plug a mouse in, can we have a qwerty keyboard too? Besides entering names, it would give many shortcut possibilities plus Function keys

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For sure YES I agree
    A USB plugin keyboard on a mixer [including live scenarios] would be great.
    Renaming and shortcuts.
    and then of course we could plug-in the mice [mouses’] to the key board like a mac’s keyboard.
    Is that mice or mouses’ ?
    I use multiples.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Is that mice or mouses’ ?

miceees 🙂
    sabatoogie
    wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo

computer mouse

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

I like my QU 24, but it would be nice if the entire back panel could detach from the mixer and become the stage box via cat5. Or, on some jobs, I could leave it attached and use it for local inputs. Thus, reducing my initial investment.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Gordon,, that would be amazing!

I use a QU24 too and love it…
    I wish there was a way to have the iPad “mirror” the LCD display.
    Since the iPad is a touch device, it too could be used for adjusting things on a larger screen.

I have asked for this feature a number of times

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

– Some digital I/O, such as SPDIF, AES and possibly even ADAT (to extend the I/O). The digital I/O could be patchable to any channel or even just switchable on certain channels, so that on a Qu16 the Stereo 3 input could be assignable either to the analog or digital input.

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

Another thing very important could be the possibility to putone input to various channels, eg. In1 in the channels 1,2,3&4in QU and especially on GLD. Many engineers need to do that in their show, and so far, I didn’t know how to do it. That is possible currently in the most consoles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.