Mute/Unmute FX by Midi-Footswitch

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Mute/Unmute FX by Midi-Footswitch

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of zas-musik zas-musik 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey there, a friend of mine is asking what’s the easiest way of turn off/on (mute/unmute) the FX Channels on the Qu-16 by pressing a midi-foot-switch. There is no Midi-Connector at the rear, but the RJ45 as well as the USB can be used for Midi-Control. Is it possible to use a midi-foot-switch, connect that via a USB-to-Midi-cable with the Qu-16? Or is there at minimum a computer needed and the footswitch act as DAW-Controller?

The use is as follow:
    Musician who has no sound engineer. While Live-Gigs he want’s to enable FX during songs and mute it while spoken words.

Profile photo of DocDocDocDoc
    DocDocDocDoc
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m considering to get a Qu-16. Currently we’re using a PA12 and some sweet things in a side rack, but we’re running out of channels. So we’d like to replace the entire heap of gear by a handy digital console. However, since we’re a small band doing all the stuff ourselves, we’d also need a foot switch to mute FX as described above.

Here’s my question: Is it possible to route FX sends (or returns) via one of the outputs, and then back in into one of the stereo inputs? This way, we could insert a simple analog foot switch.

A feature like this is crucial to our application – our purchase decision would depend on it.

Best
    DocDocDocDoc

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey DocDocDocDoc
    Yes, what you describe is possible! But i don’t know about the latency! There may be a few milliseconds if you route the FX out on a AUX and back in to a (stereo-)channel! But for Hall and for Delay there might be no problems.. it’s like a predelay!
    What i’m asking for is a simple MIDI connection with the mixer, without using a computer! (some other mixers have Midi connections at the rear)

Profile photo of DocDocDocDoc
    DocDocDocDoc
    Participant

I understand what you’re asking for, eotsskleet. The A&H developers could in theory implement support for a USB-MIDI-Adaptor connected to the USB host socket. I don’t know how likely this is to happen at all – after all, you would lose the possibility to record to USB storage at the same time, unless you’d use a USB hub and as far as I know, a USB hub would require special support by the USB host again, so yet another change to the system.

Best
    DocDocDocDoc

Profile photo of derekjsmith
    derekjsmith
    Participant

I setup a soft key to a mute group that mutes all FX send/receive.

I have 4 mute groups: all I/O, just fx send/receive, all input but st2/3, all input but lead vocal mics. I then assign soft keys: MG 1, MG 2, MG 3 and cancel all PAFL.

I know it’s not a foot switch but works the same.

Profile photo of Buco
    Buco
    Participant

Hi!
    I have the same problem, need a footswitch because I dont have free hands on stage. Why we cant use (for example) talckback Input,because the band never need this!
    It would be possible to solve whit Software upgrade!

Best
    Buco

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I used this feature on my old 01V with a cheesy momentary foot switch. Pretty handy for shutting off reverb and delay for between-song banter when you run sound for yourself. There was a jack specifically for this, IIRC. Yes, this would be nice to have.

Profile photo of zas-musik
    zas-musik
    Participant

Hi,

same problem with muting FX here…
    The board is awesome, but this is a very important feature we miss.
    Lets hope that Allen&Heath will implement this in next Firmware release.

Best regards
    ZAS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.