Mute Monitors, not FOH?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mute Monitors, not FOH?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of McShepherd
    McShepherd
    Participant

The mix is good in our room for live music, a resonant old church hall. But speaking between songs turns to mud, and the thought is killing monitors may knock it out, as the problem does not exist for mic’d voices not in the monitors.

I can’t set up a mute group for monitors, right? Other options?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Why can’t you set up a mute group for monitors?? I have and it’s useful in so many ways. Also, set up a mute group for FX as well as this can be deployed between music. I’d also suggest that if the speech sounds so impaired by the monitors in the first place, that perhaps you EQ your monitors to be less boomy?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sounds like you are getting a lot of monitor wash either directly into the room and or bleeding into any open mics.

As just mentioned check your overall stage monitor sound and maybe work with the overall stage volume to run the monitors at a lower level, in the long run that would help everything!

Now to the original question, yes you can set up all of the monitor mixes to be on a mute group, I actually take it one step further a lot of the times, I’ll put all of the monitor mix outputs on a DCA group so I can I can turn them down some in between songs for speaking, you can also do a hard mute via the DCA.

If you have people coming up to speak who are all ready half afraid to talk on a mic and then they hear themselves in a stage monitor more often than not they will back away from the mic, turning the monitors down or off can really help in that case as well.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Common practice for me too; one dca for the monitors and for the fx-returns

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Common practice for me too; one dca for the monitors and for the fx-returns

Giga

Same with FX for me as well.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I always assign the FX DCA to the sends, it avoids abruptly killing reverb tails when muted, which sounds very un-natural.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.