Mute Groups

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of guma guma 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

One feature I find a head scratcher with the dlive both in concept and operation is the DCA mute groups. This introduces the complexity of 2 layers of muting which I rarely if ever need and it also consumes DCAs. Please introduce Group Mutes which interact with the channel mutes. As in toggling group mutes would “catch” the channel mutes that were configured while at the same time allowing the operator to use the channel mute on the surface as needed. Hope my rambling makes sense and if not please reach out. Thx!

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I agree. DCA muting scares me in a live situation because there’s no way to quickly unmute a single channel in a panic situation other than by finding the DCA that muted it.

A “mute group” would simply turn on/off the channel mute of each channel assigned to it.

Thanks

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

FWIW, on my iLive I generally use two DCA Mute groups, which I assign to my Soft Keys. Group 1 (DCA 15) is my Effects mute, which I mute in between songs, and Group 2 (DCA 16) is my “everything” mute, for muting all instruments and BU Vocals when the band takes a break. I generally have the Lead Vocals on manual Mute with the Channel Mute button.

With the Mute Groups on the Soft Keys, they’re always close by.

-Mark

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Thanks Mark for the tip

Profile photo of FBCW
    FBCW
    Participant

On GLD, selecting a channel (which shows that channel on the lcd screen) then selecting the routing tab will let you assign/unassign from a dca group… To me this is nearly identical to having mute group assign buttons on the channel.

I also use dca mute groups exclusively with the soft keys, which makes them functionally identical to mute groups on an analog desk. I have a few dcas that are also channel strips (like drums and choir) where I actually ride the fader, but even those have soft keys assigned to their mutes…

-Brian

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Thanks Brian – that approach doesn’t change the underlying signal flow though does it? As in channel mutes and DCA mutes are separate and as such the channel mute can only affect the channel output if the DCA mute is not engaged correct?

Profile photo of aisle-6
    aisle-6
    Participant

A nice work around, but possibly a step too many. Surely mute groups as an option for user defined keys is not that hard.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I would like to bring this old wish forward again.
    it would still be great if we could quickly switch on individual channels of a mute group again when needed.

it is clear that DCA groups are not that easy, I have no objections to that. but with the functions called “mute groups” this should really be possible.

just think of the following situation:
    the concert is over, the cheers of the audience are huge – in this moment the artist goes back on stage and quickly puts his acoustic guitars on again and starts singing.
    if you could now simply unlock these two channels in mute groups without opening many more channels by switching off the mute groups, that would be a really great solution!

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes, Wolfgang! Even a lowly Yamaha TF can do that. I think A&H in general should check out what the competition has to offer in terms of useful features.

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

+1
    There are missing two features in the DCA style mute system.
    1. As mentioned above mute groups shall optionally behave as ‘soft mute groups’ i.e. a single input channel within a muted group shall be unmutable while the group stays muted….very helpfull in the case of an unexpected return of one artist.
    2. Input mutes shall optionally behave as soft mutes i.e. an input channel member of a mute group muted by the channel mute Switch can be unmuted by the group mute it’s routed to… very helpfull at showtime if there are some ‘forgotten’ channel mutes on a hidden layer …

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

Quite disappointing. More than four years later and nothing happened.
    Question to the developers:
    Whats the reason for not implementing industry standard mute system options other than this fixed hard mute DCA style muting?

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I would like to join guma’s question.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more. This is a thing that should have been resolved way back in the iLive days…15 years ago maybe.

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

As i mentioned in SQ Forum yesterdays:

Did a little research today and found douzends of similar requests over the years and all consoles (GLD, SQ, d-Live, Avantis) for the

SOFT MUTE / TEMPORARY RELEASE RETURN TO MUTE GROUP / SWITCHABLE HARD/SOFT MUTE BEHAVIOR

and so on

What the hell makes it so difficult to create this industry standard feature???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.