Multiple channels from the same input on custom layer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Multiple channels from the same input on custom layer

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of coultersound coultersound 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coultersound
    coultersound
    Participant

Hi everyone –

My frame of reference is Yamaha and Midas consoles, and I’m considering the QU16. On the custom layer, can I patch the same physical input into multiple channels, with different gain, dynamics, and bus assignments for each?

Thanks

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

No – or YES BUT, only if you use a dSnake box for inputs; the preamps in the desk are “hardwired” to their own channel strip while the dSnake is fully patchable.

You can have as many copies of the same channel strip as you can fit into the custom layer(s), but they will not give you independent processing.

coultersound
    Participant

Thanks Mark – no independent processing, but different routing?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If you split the feed to two channels, you have independent processing, Q.E.D.

There are two splitting options:

1. Hard-wired XLR Y-split from your snake into two board channels or

2. Assigning the same signal from one of the digital stage boxes (AR2412, AR84 or AB168) into two separate channels on the board.

Either way you still burn two channels to do what you wish.

Either or both channels can be assigned to any or all of the custom layers and routed as desired.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You do get independent processing except Gain, which is done inside the stagebox.

coultersound
    Participant

That’s what I’m looking for, but just to be clear, I can only have this flexibility when coming in digital… I can’t custom route and process duplicate analog inputs? For example on an M32 or QL1 I can replicate copper inputs with independent control over everything except gain.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That’s part of the Qu’s philosophy to have a 1:1 relationship between physical sockets and fader channels. Not sure if there are technical constraints (i.e. inter-DSP routing paths) which may prohibit free assignment.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

As above. If the channel source is a local preamp, then it’s routed 1:1, ie if ch5 is set to source a signal from a local preamp, it will automatically choose local preamp#5, and this cannot be changed. Any instances of ch5 on the custom layer will all have the same processing.

However if you tell ch5 to source a signal from a remote preamp (ie dSnake,) then you can choose which remote preamp you’d like it to take signal from. This allows you to have the same remote preamp feeding multiple channels.

So to sum up, in reference to your original question: if using local preamps, then no. If using remote preamps (dSnake,) then yes.
    If don’t have a dSnake stagebox, then just do what Dick said and use a y-split cable between the mic and the console to get the one mic signal to 2 separate local preamps. Then you get separate gain too.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You need to understand that the custom layers are CONTROL ONLY similar to the function of DCA’s. There are no routing capabilities within them.

coultersound
    Participant

That all makes sense. Thanks everybody!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.