Multi channel output

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Multi channel output

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

We are just about to purchase a GLD 112, AR2412, two AR84 and most likely a Dante card.
    I am trying to make preparations for the install.

Am I wrong here, is there no easy way to send the main output to multiple output XLRs.
    We have a Hi, Mid, Low, Sub setup with full range front fills. And two wedge mixes plus Aviom.

I would like to configure each output to a different frequency range and do the crossover processing with the onboard EQ.
    There are so many outputs available it is a shame to have to feed one output into another processor before going to the amps.
    The onboard EQ is more than capable of handling this but I don’t see any templates of discussion of this anywhere.

Profile photo of tenderboy
    tenderboy
    Participant

you could use matrixes for that…although you cannot select the steepness of the hicut and low-cut filters in the Outputs…so finding the sweetspot for your Equipment may be quite hard

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Routing the main (or any) mix to multiple outputs on the GLD is easy (IO button,) however the the eq control is specific to the mix, not to the physical output. Whatever eq you apply to the mix will appear at every output to which that mix is routed. The ilive has a speaker management fx that can do what you want, but that hasn’t been ported to GLD.

As tenderboy said, you can you mtxs with the relevant eq routed to separate outs, but as he points out, the eq doesn’t have as steep filters as a dedicated XO would. Although you could get creative and send LR to a channel and use its HPF to help (you can get a 24dB BW filter on it, though no option for a LR filter) that won’t help when you need to LPF that mix: you’re still limited to the channel’s eq.

Rather a strong case can be made for NOT using the console as an XO. A badly-recalled scene with the wrong safes, or a factory reset etc could destroy your XO settings, and could be bad for the speakers and peoples’ ears. If the desk needs servicing etc, unless you get another GLD in to replace and have the scene backed up, you’ll need another XO and you’ll have to dial it in again anyway.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I never use the console for speaker processing just for the reasons mentioned above. Too big of a risk. While it would be nice if the console had onboard crossover it doesn’t so resorting to outboard processing has worked for me both on GLD and QU installs. I do have a few customers who have bought from me who do graphic EQ and compressors on outputs. They are doing simple one scene setups into full range systems.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I will still route my mains to my BSS soundweb for crossover processing, but I plan on moving the EQ to the GLD outputs for better control.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Questions like this might be out of my league, but could you send you channels to a subgroup and then send that through an Aux? If I remember correctly, you can use the full graphic eq with a group.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

You can, (you can also send auxes to groups too,) but you can also also use a geq directly on the subgroup, no need to route it to an aux. The LR mix also has its own 28-band geq too. However, using a combination of these geqs, in addition to the group’s/aux’s/main’s/mtx’s peqs, still aren’t a proper substitute for the 24/48dB-per-octave slopes found on a dedicated XO. Even if they were, you still have the potential issue of an improper scene/show recall nixing the settings (the chance of which increases dramatically when you’ve got over-helpful volunteers and/or multiple people controlling the console via ipads.)

You might get OK-ish XO results using a combination of the onboard eqs, but you’ll almost certainly get better and safer results using a dedicated XO. For the sake of 1RU and a few hundred dollars (and if the OP already has the speakers and XO from the previous system and this is an upgrade rather than a brand new install, then there’s no extra cost to keep the existing XO,) I’d be keeping speaker management out of the FOH console. By all means use the onboard eqs for a FOH eq, but I wouldn’t trust the safety of the FOH speakers to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.