Mixdown from SONAR through QU32 with FX and EQ

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mixdown from SONAR through QU32 with FX and EQ

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of perri meracelli
    perri meracelli
    Participant

this is such a simple qustion that I feel stupid!…but still so frustrating after 3 days of hassle !:)

I have my track in SONAR, I play them back and ,obviously, do additional mixing in QU32, with both FX and EQ. So,
    When I now want to make mix of what I hear, how do I do it ?

1.soulution

I do a Export Audio from SONAR, and choose either ” entire mix” or “hardware outputs”. the result : theres NO
    EQ and NO FX in the mix.

2.soulution

I record the track back to SONAR, then I get the FX and EQ, ….BUT the bass is some millisecond “behind” the drums in the beat, so its useless.

SO , again, how do I get the mix I hear ??

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, if you record the signal back in Sonar you obviously will get some latency compared to the original tracks. Just imagine the signal path with each transition adds some samples of latency:
    Sonar->ASIO->USB->Qu->InternalQuProcessing->USB->ASIO->Sonar.
    Sonar my have some automatic latency correction for the ASIO and USB part, but not for internal processing inside the Qu.
    Not sure if Sonar allows manual adjustment of recording latency, if not, just move the recorded track the required distance.
    This is a fixed time, depending on your overall setup. Just record something percussive (i.e. kick or snare hit) through the Qu and measure the distance between the original and recorded peak. That’s the delta you will have to move the newly recorded tracks back to properly align them.

Otherwise do a complete downmix on Qu and do not try to combine the recorded track with the originals.

Profile photo of perri meracelli
    perri meracelli
    Participant

yes obviously, I can do some tweaking and moving of tracs, to make them accurate, like the orig. within the SONAR. the Drums are a Plugin, and bass is recorded bass, but then if I have slightly different latency for each track its hopless to deal with.

But, what you say ” otherwise, do a complete….”, yes I would like to do that, but how ? 🙂
    I mean this QU mixer I payd 3500$ for should be able to do a mixdown of what I hear in the room ?:))

I mean ,if I cant do a mixdown to a stereo track WITH the FX and EQ ( from the QU32)I could as well throw it in the garbage can !:)…. this is SO frustrating. can you try to help me please, the track, of I choose ” harware outputs” or “entire mix”,
    is totally dry, no EQ or FX from QU32 at all.

an to record back ALL the track fra QU32 is also very timeconsuming ( even though I have BUS, 6 all together)

SO what I hear in the room, is obvolusly going through the mixer EQ and FX, as I have tweaked it a lot, but HOW, to cature that MIX-Left/Right audio? ?:)

Do I need to set the QU 32 in a certain “mode” or do something about the “global direct out” settings ?

thanks a lot for Ur help, I was about to give up this now, really 🙂

regards per g merakerli, Norway.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Why don’t you just record the mixdown to the Q-drive ? That just takes one cut-paste extra and you don’t have to worry about latency anomalies…

Giga

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If that whats coming out from LR is what you want to record, just record that. If you didn’t change the assignment of the sent USB streams, LR is on streams 17&18. Otherwise you’re free to assign L&R to any streams you prefer through “I/O Patch Setup – USB Audio”, as written in section 11.18 of The Manual.
    …or, as Giga suggested, record LR from the QuDrive.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Per…

Ikke bekymre deg. It will work if you relax and folow the help you get here.

I agree with Giga. Record your mix on the Qu-drive.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Btw: are you sure you haven’t accidentally delayed the bass channel on the mixer ?

Another (and better) way I think would be to record the output(s) of the fx you’re using separately which would enable you to make the mix more or less wet after the fact. I don’t know if that’s technically possible though (routingwise).

Giga

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.