Mic pre direct to Pro Tools?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mic pre direct to Pro Tools?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tim
    Tim
    Participant

Is there a way to record straight from the Mic Pres of a Cu system into Pro Tools? I’ve gotten 2 projects now from a venue with a Allen and Heath Cu mixer and they were both post fade despite requesting pre-fade (pre EVERYTHING) isos. I’m planning a trip out to check out their setup, but want to confirm if/ how this can be done.

Thanks!

Tim

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The short answer is yes. I’ve done it. But don’t have my mixer here so can’t give you directions. I can later when I pick it up. Maybe someone else recalls from memory.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

You can certainly change the direct out tap source on QU.

Do this by pressing a Sel key on a channel, then press the Routing key. You can then change the Global Direct out settings to tap from the following:

– Post Preamp
    – Post Insert
    – Post PEQ
    – Post Comp
    – Post Delay

You can also set the direct out to Follow Fader and Follow Mute here.

I hope this helps!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Qu user guide, p. 75: select “insert sends”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Tim
    Tim
    Participant

Thanks All for the prompt responses! I assumed as much, but even with some digging online couldn’t confirm. Thanks again.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Forget where it is in the desk* (somewhere in the Routing I/O patch I think), but on iPad:
    Select any channel;
    select pre-amp (top) tab;
    use arrow -> for direct out settings;
    here you can choose “Post Preamp” from here & also check that “Follow Fader” & “Follow Mute” are off. These are global settings for the whole desk.

* Think it’s time I moved my Qu-16 on. I seem to always use the Qu-Pac now, and forget where to find stuff! Anybody want one?

Wow – A lot of us posting!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Thanks All for the prompt responses! I assumed as much, but even with some digging online couldn’t confirm. Thanks again.

I would advise downloading the readily available pdf user manuals for the top half-dozen digital consoles you’re likely to encounter. In addition, get the free iPad apps and familiarize yourself with them in your spare time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.