Meters when changing from 2 mono to a stereo channel

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Meters when changing from 2 mono to a stereo channel

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AudioplusAB AudioplusAB 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AudioplusAB
    AudioplusAB
    Participant

When changing the config from 2mono to 1stereo channel, what exactly does the channel meters above the fader show as both channels show the same when in stereo.
    do they show a sum or L or R? is there a way to show the L R individually? a bit annoying if you decide to make a stereo ch on a desk that has been used and the gains are individually set, you change the config without first checking the gains, it looks fine on the meters on the desk but the input is different, unless you check on the screen.

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

I believe that the meter shows a mono sum of the L/R. Its a single meter so there’s no way it could show both inputs. It does change based on the stereo setting (in the Pre-Amp page there is a setting for L/R, R/L, L/L, R/R, M/S, etc).

It is my understand that when you link two channels together as one stereo IP their gains are set to the same level. So its not possible to have different gain settings on a Stereo IP.

You can see both sides of the input on a meter if you bring up the Pre-Amp or PEQ screen or Meters screen. The bouncing LED above the strip is a Mono sum though.

-d

AudioplusAB
    Participant

thanks dshriver, now about the preamp page, hmm, unless its possible to set some safe channel issues, im pretty sure that the gains remain in their original setting when changing 2mono inputs to one stereo in the mixrack config setup as this has happen on numerous occacions, unless im doing something wrong:)

dshriver
    Participant

I’ll go over to my console and try some experiments on it this afternoon.

-d

dshriver
    Participant

So Just did some testing on stereo channels. Here’s what I found…

When linking two IPs to stereo they maintain their pre-amp settings for gain and pad. If you then adjust the controls of the pre-amp on the stereo IP the individual pre-amps maintain their offset. When you set the stereo IP back to mono IP the pre-amps are both set to what was displayed on the stereo IP’s pre-amp page. Now the really interesting part is that if you do not make any changes to the Stereo IP pre-amp when you set those IPs back to mono they maintain their original pre-amp settings. The strip meter on the stereo IP will always show the level of the highest pre-amp.

Here was my testing procedure

-30db test tone sent to Pre-amp A1 and Pre-amp A2 on my iDR-32.

IP 1 set to Pre-amp A1. IP 2 set to Pre-amp A2. IP 1 pre-amp set to 30db. IP 2 pre-amp set to 20db with pad engaged. Meter on IP 1 showed 0db and the meter on IP 2 set to -10 db. IP 1 and IP 2 set to stereo. Meter on IP 1/2 showed 0db. Pre-amp page showed a setting of 30db. However, on the stereo meter on the pre-amp page the left side showed 0db while the right side showed -10db. IP 1/2 set back to mono. Meter on IP 1 showed 0db and the meter on IP 2 set to -10 db. Pre-amp pages for IP 1 showed 0db. Pre-amp page for IP 2 showed 20db with pad engaged. IP 1 and 2 again set to stereo. Pre-amp for stereo IP 1/2 adjusted up 5 db. Pad engaged and disengaged. Strip meter showed +5 db. Pre-amp stereo meter showed +5 on the left and -5 on the right. Stereo IP 1/2 set back to mono. IP 1 and IP 2 both now showed a gain of 35db with no pad. Both meters read +5.

I then repeated all of the above by using IP 1 at 20db and IP 2 at 30db with the same results.

-d

AudioplusAB
    Participant

thanks, then what you tested is what i have experienced, would still prefer the gains being set equal when changing 2 mono IP to 1 stereo. why not a simple question on yes or no to reset gains when changing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.