ME1 Offline editor – or editor in console

Forums Forums ME Forums ME feature suggestions ME1 Offline editor – or editor in console

This topic contains 42 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Salavitch Matt Salavitch 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of glparke
    glparke
    Participant

How about an offline editor for the ME1. Than I can export the preset or system config to a USB key and transfer to a new ME1. Another cool option would be the ability to manage it in the console kind of like you can build the console faders, but now you can build / tweak someone’s ME1 config without having to go onstage. Useful if you change some inputs onstage that need broken out of a group or something on everyone’s ME1.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Sound Doctor
    Sound Doctor
    Participant

+1.

Profile photo of dexter
    dexter
    Participant

Yeah, thats a great idea. I posted something similar here in the GLD forum: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/2013-06-13-103405. If we had a PC/Mac based editor, it would be really helpful if the GLD somehow bridged the connection from the ethernet port onto the monitor network so we can use the same PC for GLD & ME at the same time.

Profile photo of glparke
    glparke
    Participant

I saw your post in the old forum about doing it on the console so I thought I would mention that again and also the possibility of an offline editor. ( i had brought that up earlier to) With a new forum, I thought i would mention it again

Doesn’t hurt to ask!

Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

An offline editor is on the ‘to do’ list, but is not scheduled at this point. If we were to do it, you would have to save the edited config onto a USB key, which would then be plugged into ME-1 units, where the config would then be recalled. Setting the units up via the GLD is difficult to impossible to implement, because the communication with the ME-1 is unidirectional; there’s no way for the GLD to identify or interrogate any connected ME-1s.

Thanks for the input.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of pblosser03
    pblosser03
    Participant

I too would love to see a “remote control” functionality for the ME-1 and being able to monitor the mix of a ME-1 remotely. Either from a computer, console, or having a “monitor engineer” ME-1 that can mirror other ME-1s. It would make the job of helping musicians with their mixes a lot easier.

I’m guessing it runs on some sort of low level network broadcast protocol, so seems like there could be some way to implement some bi-directional communication on top of that. But hey, if it’s impossible then I guess that’s just too bad, just saying it would be an awesome feature. Seems like it could make the product a bit more competitive in the ever growing market of personal mixing systems.

Profile photo of jb12string
    jb12string
    Participant

Add another one to the list for an offline editor. At our church, the weekly setup can vary between a 5-piece band and a 5-piece band plus an 11-15 piece orchestra, and in extreme cases, all that plus 2 vocal quartets. So the ability to name channels an setup keys in advance is a plus. I am confident in my ability to do it on the fly when I am playing guitar, but as confident in my ability to do it, I am equally confident in others inability to do so.

Profile photo of jonhems
    jonhems
    Participant

+1 for offline editor

Roland implement the monitor engineer unit in a very elegant way and seem to have a similar network protocol. Perhaps that would be a useful case study?

Profile photo of dpnh
    dpnh
    Participant

+1 for ME-1 offline editor.

jb12string
    Participant

Any update on the development of an offline editor for the ME

jb12string
    Participant

I’d like to bump this thread again. Having an offline editor would have been a huge timesaver for me this morning. We had a configuration that we haven’t had since we got the ME’s and it would have been much easier to make all the changes on a laptop and just import the new layouts into the ME’s

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Here’s another +1 bump for ME’s offline editor!

🙂

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

If communication was bi-directional, you’d need the mixer to keep track of ALL connected devices, and that would inherently introduce a limit. The current unidirectional communication is beautifully simple.

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

I know that the ME connection is not bi-directional, that’s not what I was asking for ( won’t happen,as the whole snake protocol structure had to be changed, I guess).
    But an OFFLINE editor to prepare ME setups on a computer and load them via usb stick is absolutely doable…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.