Lightweight Case for Qu-16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Lightweight Case for Qu-16

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jake Jake 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of FantomXS
    FantomXS
    Participant

Hello,

i’m not sure how many HE i need for the Qu-16. What i want is a universal 19″ case, lightweight for 5 times per year to carry. I saw this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/ABS-19-12-HE-Mixer-Mischpult-Koffer-Case-z-b-Yamaha-MG-166-206-NEU-/131036529620?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Cases_Racks_Taschen&hash=item1e8262c3d4 but im not sure if it fits.

Can somebody tell me how much HE i need?

Regards
    Tom

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That case looks the same as the Proel Cases that I use
    Made in china
    Extreme lightweight
    Not sure what the ‘HE’ is?
    I had to break those little loop tabs off to close the lid.
    The cases retail here in NZ about $400 over inflated price!
    However I have been happy with mine.

hope this helps

dave NZ

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You can find out this way:

1) translate HE to english (-> “RU”) so that others here understand your question
    2) ask again 🙂
    3) look up here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit how large a RU is
    4) look up here https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-16-Weight-and-measures.pdf how deep the Qu16 is
    5) pick a calculator
    6) divide the result of 4) by the result of 3)
    7) the answer is 6)

🙂

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

I got a Gator Case fits it like a glove and light.GMIX-1921-8-TSA

Profile photo of FantomXS
    FantomXS
    Participant

Thank you all. I have ordered a new self build case out of lightweight material from LT Cases here in germany.

Profile photo of nilsemil
    nilsemil
    Participant

topdj, there is a pop-up solution available as well, is that needed for the qu16 or is the

GMIX-1921-8-TSA ready to go as is (or do you need to lift the mixer of of the box to use it?

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I use the GMIX-1921-8-TSA. The mixer in the case weighs 40lbs (18K)
    You do have to lift the mixer out to use it. I think it is protected a little better than mounting it to rack rails and it likely runs cooler as a stand-alone.

Profile photo of Kirby
    Kirby
    Participant

Do you have to buy the allen and heath rack rails to fit the qu16 into the Gator Gmix-1921-8-TSA case?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

A&H rack ears would be needed for any rack mount installation.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

No rails required for the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA
    That piece of tape on the inside of the lid is just to hold the key in case I ever need it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

mamerica,
    Did the extra pieces of foam come with the G-MIX-1921-8-TSA or did you add those? Is there anything you don’t like about this case?

My priorities in a case are light weight, small, sturdy, a good fit, shock absorbent, not rack mount and plastic. Lift out to use is ok. I use my Qu-16 weekly and pile my gear on my rear truck seat for transport so a plywood or similar flight case with rivets and metal corner caps may rip the cloth seat.

The A&H case looks to me to be a rebranded version of Gator’s G-MIX 20X25 ATA case, which is larger and doesn’t look as sturdy from the pictures. I’m leaning toward the G-MIX-1921-8-TSA, but comments or other recommendations would helpful.

Thanks,
    Jake

Profile photo of tonmeister
    tonmeister
    Participant

I have the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA, too. Big thumbs up from me on that one. I don’t like to have my mixers hard mounted in rails for transport. The gator was the smallest, lightest, and most preotective I could find at the time — don’t know if there are new offerings out there that you’d want to consider, but I really love the Gator. Very easy to lift in and out of the case. If you don’t need or want yours to be rail mounted, I’d highly recommend the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA.

PS — yes, there is at least one foam wedgie that helps keep it snug, and it works very, very well. Also, it is different from the G-MIX 20X25 ATA (I used to have one of that series for my Studiolive mixer). I prefer the TSA, FWIW — the shell is tougher and a less brittle material. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a lift out case that fits the Qu16 better.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Hats off to the Gator. Just got one. Great case. Plenty of room to tuck my router and iPad Mini in under the mixer along with a few cables.

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

I did get the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA. I’ve used it for a few gigs now and I really like it.

I have the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA, too. Big thumbs up from me on that one. I don’t like to have my mixers hard mounted in rails for transport. The gator was the smallest, lightest, and most preotective I could find at the time — don’t know if there are new offerings out there that you’d want to consider, but I really love the Gator. Very easy to lift in and out of the case. If you don’t need or want yours to be rail mounted, I’d highly recommend the Gator GMIX-1921-8-TSA.

I agree! It’s a bit bulkier than I expected, but it does the job of a light weight, rail-less and padded case for the QU-16 extremely well. I arranged my QU nearly identically to the way that mamerica has in his photo. The change I made was to put the wedges on the back/connector end of the mixer to move the center of gravity toward the center of the case. The mixer is easy to lift out and is quite snug while traveling. My photo does not show it but I put the grey acoustic foam in the same location as his photo shows, above the “ridge” of the back of the mixer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.