Insert in Mains, bug maybe?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Insert in Mains, bug maybe?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pit Lenz Pit Lenz 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Imarconi
    Imarconi
    Participant

Hello Community, hope you can help me to solve a mystery… I’m running a Waves card into my Waves soundgrid Native, works great, yesterday I tried to insert a Stereo compressor in the Master (a C6), but the mixer, when you go to the Insert page in the Main, it only allowed me to insert the Left channel into the I/O Port Out…. but when I go to the GLD editor it shows me the option to insert the Left and the Right Channel separate which is how its supposed to be.

A bug maybe?

Im running the latest version of all the softwares.

Thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

you have two main strips… left and right

in the left main strip you can only insert the left channel of the fx

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hi Imarconi,
    Working with Waves Soundgrid 9.7.1 and GLD 1.51 like you.

On my mixer, the insert page of my L/R channel (like my stereo channels, too) shows two seperate I/O Port Out (Insert Send) sockets right side by side to each other to select my connection.
    Below that, the I/O Port In (insert return) has just a Stereo combination of two adjacent ports selectable.

In Multirack (as you surely know) you have to set up a stereo rack with the corresponding In and Out channels -in my case I/O 63/64 for my master insert.

Did that help?
    🙂

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Steffen, how do you see a separate Left main strip?
    I can only see L/R as a stereo channel. ( that I was referring to…)

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

oh it is different than the iLive now…

in the iLive system you have separated strips for every Main Channel. In the GLD it was the same on some circumstances…but this changed sometimes…

Imarconi
    Participant

Hello, thanks for all the answers, ill check again, Pit thanks for the detailed answer, I do know about the settings in the Multirack, and as i said in the Editor I can see the L and R inserts in different sockets…but not in the mixer… very strange…

Steffen how do you see L and R as separate??? like Pit L. I only see a Main stereo fader… it would be great to being able to mute L/R independently.

Pit Lenz
    Participant

In my regular PA preset I send L/R to several mono matrices (PA-L, PA-R, Nearfills, Delays) and feed these to the Amps.
    So I can mute or eq or delay them separately with GLD’s onboard tools.
    Besides that I still can insert these matrices with a stereo rack in Waves to do general room correction or C6’ing as a stereo pair. To do so, I insert ,say, I/O 61 on MTX1 and I/O 62 on MTX2. Then I have a Waves Stereo Rack on 61/62 for my main PA.

Keeps my L/R mix EQ-clean for a recording.

This Mono-in-GLD-stereo-in-Waves treatment is very helpful on inputs, too.
    On my Piano channels for example I locut and eq Lo and Hi channels accordingly and from there treat the Piano as a stereo instrument in Waves. Works well, if you want to LA2a or C6 it as well…

Pit 🙂

Imarconi
    Participant

Pit! sounds great, Right now im working with a session that has 11st IEM and more, so I had to use all the possible busses for IEM, LRM, etc, thats why i would like to know if there is any chance of doing the L/R without having to use matrices

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Oh yes, the dreadful 20-bus-limit…

Here’s another idea that worked for me when I ran out of mixbuses:
    I had to feed three different delay lines (timewise) from only one delay output that was available.
    You can feed more than one Waves rack with the same insert send channel.
    Return channels have to be different, but you can also patch your output sockets to I/O input ports. That means that you can connect your xlr sockets directly to the outputs of a Waves rack. Now you send your mains to two different mono racks, send the outputs of those racks to XLR sockets directly. There you can delay, eq and mute them in Waves separately. Only thing is: you don’t have the returns on your GLD faders…

:-))

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Keep in mind that using the L/R/M preset loses you one mixbus, since they always are configured as pairs and the (just one) mono bus goes with another unusable and wasted empty sibling.

If you set up two mono matrices instead and use one as mono feed from L/R, you have the same bus count and get one additional matrix channel for free (never know when you need one…)

(By the way, that does not apply if you mix proper left/center/right)
    🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.