Insert blank channel

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Insert blank channel

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roy Roy 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

It would nice to be able to insert a blank channel so that the others that follow afterwards are knocked on accordingly.

Example: I have a band setup with drums on first seven channels, then 3 x guitars and 3 x vox, so 13 channels in all. But then they spring a surprise and add another guitarist. Now I know I *could* stick it on channel 14, but I’d rather place it with the guitars to keep a nice structure to my setup. So in this case, add the extra channel at 11, but so that the vox channels are then all shunted forward by 1 channel.

This would also be helpful when replicating scenes for other bands that may have slightly different requirements. I currently use a cut & paste method to transfer affected channels one channel to the right.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

+1 for this but would have to think about how the end channels bump. Perhaps everything shifts right and 24 is deleted, whatever it is! Or a “move channels” dialogue instead where you specify the first and last channel to be affected (e.g. 13 to 18) and then where you want the new slot to be (e.g. 14 to 19).

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Nice idea BRS, and probably relatively easy to do.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Work around is re assignment on the stage box if you have one. Or obvious would be add the channel at 14 but create a custom layer. Set that layer up however you wish. Not the same thing but close. Or get a GLD. You can rearrange anyway you wish.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Custom layers ? Or am I missing something ?

Giga

Profile photo of Heirloom AVM
    Heirloom AVM
    Participant

Hi Giga, page 66 of the manual provides instruction for setting up a custom layer: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_9.pdf

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m sure Giga understands the custom layers 😉 and that would probably be my solution if this is a one off. However, if it’s a regular thing, it’d be nice to get them in the correct order. The problem with an insert is that something has to disappear, and you may not want it to be the last channel…….

Cut & Paste is a pretty quick thing to do though if it’s only three channels, but I can see it getting tedious if you wanted to move a couple of dozen channels!

Alternatively, save each singer’s channel in the user library, and recall them in their new positions. Takes a little longer but you have them there for future reference.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Haha, yes he does ! I missed the fact GCumbee already mentioned the custom layers.
    Thank you to Heirloom anyway !

Back on topic: if the TS would just insert 1 or more empty channels at the apropriate spots he can turn them into whatever channel using the libraries at any given time and don’t have to worry about the “bumping up”.

Giga

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Thanks all.

Giga… TS? Not sure I understand that last bit.

Also, Custom Layers I use frequently on my QU16, but I like to have my FX sends on there as well so replicating the inputs in a different order would lead me to run out of channels pretty quick.I knew I should have gone for a QU24 but finances simply couldn’t stretch at the time (or now for that matter!).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.