Input selection for each channel

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Input selection for each channel

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PValenti PValenti 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Hi again! Here goes my seccond suggestion for making the Qu-16 better within reasonable limits of software development.

-Input routing flexibility: It might no be so easy to program this for a firmware update but the other thing I miss the most, and probably other users told you so, is the option to asign any fisical inputs to any channel so that you could have duplicated inputs as it usually happens when working with in-ear monitoring in wich the bassdrum would require a different EQ than the one from the P.A. mix, or other kind of situations that might require an input signal to be duplicated for different proccesing. Other reason for wich this feature would be very usefull is for the patching changes if you have different bands on the stage and you don’t want to repatch the cables on your stage box, but I know right now something similar to that can be done with the “custom layer”.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

I agree it would be a very useful feature if you know what you’re doing with it, but it could be a potential minefield for people coming over from analogue (probably a sizeable part of the Qu’s target market) who are used to a 1:1:1 relationship of input socket:channel:fader, especially if it re-configures itself on the fly with scene changes. I think for these people new to digital, volunteers etc (who will still be trying to get their heads around pressing SEL before doing anything and using fader flips instead of a sea of aux-send pots,) keeping it simple is a good thing. It also helps differentiate the Qu vs GLD product lines. You could always use a y-split cable before the preamp anyway, which is arguably better than worrying about one channel’s gain changes stuffing your gain structure for the other channel.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The one to one mapping is a significant feature of the qu.

The custom layer is the place to rearrange channels, a second custom layer could be useful, but you are never far away from your desired control – only* the QU16 has faders which only exist on the custom layer (DCAs).

With an iPad you can also have a couple of extra custom layers on QuPad.

* pretty sure this is the only case, excluding midi control type interfaces.

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

– only* the QU16 has faders which only exist on the custom layer (DCAs)

Same for the 24. DCAs are only on the custom layer. They were not available before firmware 1.5.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Even though that “one input, one fader” is a cool feature to get everything working quickly it would be very nice to have that option instead of working around with those Y cables. Every mixer has that default set up of 1 input 1 fader after all (Ok, not things like the Midas Pro Series where you have to patch EVERYTHING to get it working, wich takes significant time). 😛

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The “copy input” option is slightly different from the “flexible routing” one though.

Not one I’ve used very often either – I don’t tend to have musicians who are so fussy that they want specific eq for their vocal in their own monitor…. I can normally just eq the monitor as a whole…

Profile photo of Hein
    Hein
    Participant

“so that you could have duplicated inputs as it usually happens when working with in-ear monitoring”

If you link two channel’s, for example 1 & 2, then it would be great if you could link just the source. The faders should in this case not be linked.
    You would keep the 1:1:1 relationship only the linked channel 2 uses de source of channel 1.

I would be happy if this would be possible in the nieuw firmware update.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

I’m actually quite surprised that there isn’t input patching/routing. I’m even more surprised that I had to sift through this many posts to find a request for input patching.

I would like the ability to be able to digitally patch an analog or digital input to any channel (or multiple channels).

1:1 routing on a digital console? Come on, even studio analog guys have patchbays to re-route input signals to channels they want them on. And analog live sound people will come up with some creative schemes to make sure that what comes from the stage shows up on the channels they want.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

All of which will work on a digital desk too! The dSnake boxes are all fully patchable. Surly if you want to repatched at the desk itself, you can grab the cable and move it!

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

True, but why monkey around in the back if you could simply touch the screen and turn an encoder? Hence the request for input routing. I’m not a coder but, I’d think that it would be worth while (note I didn’t say easy) to create a method of choosing where the ones and zeroes get routed or distributed after they had been converted from the ADC.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Then grab a dSnake box…
    It’s easier to patch on the rear panel IMHO.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Grab the encoder and change the patch all you want on the custom layer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.