Improve quality of HP out

Forums Forums ME Forums ME feature suggestions Improve quality of HP out

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Today I noticed that IEM connected to ME-1 sounds “thin”, like when using wireless IEM system, comparing to HP output of Qu-SB, that sounds really “juicy”- much greater dynamics.
    I understand that operation from PoE puts some limitations on max voltage swing and also total power. But maybe there still is a way to bit improve the performance of HP amplifier?

ddff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

The headphone output on the ME-1 is pretty powerful, and is the same whether running on DC or PoE. Have you tried plugging normal headphones in, to see how that sounds? Is the output EQ on the ME-1 definitely flat?

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, I tried Shure SE215 and also Sennheiser HD280. Output EQ was flat, DO sources post EQ. I got a feeling it did not like the low impedance. What opamp is used for ME-1 HP out and what in Qu-SB?

ddff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Looking at the ME-1 user guide, it recommends using headphones with 16-600 Ohm impedance. At 64 Ohms, the HD280s are well within this range. I tried a pair of this exact model with my ME-1, and anything over around half volume was far too loud to have them on my head.

The ME-1 uses a stereo class-A amplifier implemented using discrete transistors. I was not involved with Qu-SB, but it appears to use two parallel NE5532 op-amps per channel.

I’m not sure what else to suggest. Do you have a second ME-1 to try? Perhaps you could compare the ME-1 and Qu-SB using some pre-recorded music?

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Strange, by the description ME-1 HP out should be better than Qu-SB HP out. I will retry my test and also different ME-1.

ddff

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

I for one really love the ME-1 output, not just the level (it can get really loud!) but the clarity too. Personally I think it sounds better than other A&H products I’ve used, and way better than other personal monitoring mixers, but that’s subjective experience, not really based on specs.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

When we first installed our GLD we only got 3 ME 1s because of budget, we still had our Aviom system so we ran Aviom mode at first to get enough mixers for our band.
    We were able to compare them side by side, the MEs are much cleaner and robust according to all our musicians and tech crew that compared them.
    We now have all ME1s and love the ability to have all inputs available at each station using groups.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.