iLive MIDI control of QU-16

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive troubleshooting iLive MIDI control of QU-16

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of FBCW FBCW 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Hi

I’m going to be using an iLive T112 and QU-16 at the same time, due to so many channels. I need to control the QU-16 with the T112 so I can recall scenes on the T112 and they recall the scenes on the QU-16. Can I do this with MIDI?

Thank you

Mike

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is that to use a QU16 as a sidecar?

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Thanks for coming back so quickly! Basically, yes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Someone was talking about recently being able to control custom layer from a lighting desk via midi.
    If the desk [qu] is parked next door to your iLive desk is it really necesary to link them or can you just reach and recall a scene via the soft buttons?

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

I see where you’re coming from but it’s on a musical show and I need to be able to press the recall button on both desks at exactly the same time… It would ‘just work’ I think, if only the QU-16 had actual MIDI outputs rather than having to go via CAT5 or USB…

I guess if there was a way to present the MIDI outputs of the QU-16 as physical connectors I could make it work – if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears!

Thanks again

Mike

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sure.
    11.9 of the manual says scene recall is available via midi over TCP network
    I dont know if thats in/out?
    I do use midi ethernet bi-directional with a MAC however never had to get into scene recall.
    Only from Reaper projects perspective.
    Sorry I dont have an iLive to experiment.

I’ll watch this space.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

As the iLive can deal with MIDI over TCP then the two desks should be able to talk to each other! I’ll give it a go… Thanks for your help NZdave – I’ll keep you posted.

Mike

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

You may get more than you bargain on if you link them together. If the midi specs are similar on QU to the iLive then perhaps faders, mutes, pans etc might also remote operate so you may need to filter or convert the midi data to just contain scene commands. Checking the Midi documentation for both desks might be a good starting point.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Absolutely! I’m hoping there’s some sort of editor on the QU16 so I can make it listen for all other commands on a different channel or, like you say, just ignore the rest…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

There is no editor on the QU..
    maybe you could go through a computer using bome’s software or an external box?

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

I will have a look at Bome’s editor, which on first glance looks very clever… I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your posts!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Just on a side topic – you say you are wanting to use the QU for additional inputs – are you using all 64 iLive DSP channels? What mix rack are you using? I ask because if you require more input channels then perhaps you could look at sub hiring another mix rack and linking them in extended or dual rack mode for up to 128 channels all within the iLive framework and avoid trying to get two different boards scenes to talk nicely?
    Just a thought.

Profile photo of MJ
    MJ
    Participant

Thanks for the message. I have thought about doing this but unfortunately the money doesn’t quite add up as the Mixrack doesn’t hire out on its own very much it appears, so it’s uncharacteristically expensive!

Thanks

Mike

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi MJ,

I wrote an article a while ago about MIDI linking two iLives or an iLive to a GLD.
    With Qu of course the lack of physical MIDI ports complicates things in this application. You can use the USB MIDI or MIDI over TCP Network (with the TCP MIDI driver on Mac OS X) and get Bome’s Translator or similar to simply channel all messages through to a MIDI interface. Alternatively if you wanted to eliminate the need of a computer, you could try something like the Kenton MIDI USB host, but we had mixed results with it in the office so it’s at your own risk I’m afraid.

Either way please post the results here for other users to share.

Profile photo of FBCW
    FBCW
    Participant

Ya I think the important thing to consider is that the Ethernet midi only works via the Mac/Windows driver so I do not think you could connect an Ethernet cable between them and get midi. You would need a computer to translate.

I’m actually looking at using a PUC+ to send midi out of the GLD via Bluetooth to Luminair on an iPad which connects to a RedPark Lightning to Ethernet cable running an art net node for our lighting. You can accomplish a lot with the right hardware… If it exists!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.