iLive-80S Screens Keep Going Out (White/Gray)

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive troubleshooting iLive-80S Screens Keep Going Out (White/Gray)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Underscore Underscore 7 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mrmkiii
    mrmkiii
    Participant

We have a two, iLive-80S system for church FOH and recording and the screens of both surfaces are not working. When powered on, the screens are only white or gray and cannot be used. One iLive screen went out a second time after an authorized repair just 6 months ago. We are forced to temporarily operate iLive Editor by laptop instead. Anyone else having regular screen issues? Tips?

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Have you tried hooking up a screen to the VGA port on the back?

-Mark

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

Here is another option as well.

If you have a windows laptop and can connect to the ACE network, there is a program that you can run that will give you your screen display/functionality on the laptop(except that it is not touchscreen, you will need to use the mouse).
    The program is called, “DL5000SystemManager.exe”
    The file is normally located in the firmware update package of files. You can download the firmware update package that includes this file if you don’t already have it.
    I do believe that the file is firmware specific, so you will need to match your current revision.

Profile photo of mrmkiii
    mrmkiii
    Participant

Mark, yes, the external VGA screen idea does not seem to work because the mixer could not be signed into, but you gave me the idea that I have not tried an external screen with the laptop running Editor at the same time. I will try this, but it does not seem likely.

Underscore, we are using a W10 laptop wirelessly to router to main FOH iDR10, and a WXP laptop wired to recording, secondary 1DR0, but if I understand correctly, we are using EtherSound. Will your idea still work, and what will this do beyond or different from our current use of Editor?

Underscore
    Participant

I can’t say about ‘ethersound’ for the network link as I’ve not worked with it, but if editor works with it I don’t know why this wouldn’t work.

What will be different is that the laptop will become your remote screen, like Mark was suggesting. You will just be getting the screen information thru the network instead of the VGA output connection.
    The built in screen is it’s own little computer system, independent from the surface processing. The file I mentioned above, when run, allows your laptop to ‘become’ the operating screen.

You will be able(and need) to still use the surface for your mixing, and your network traffic will most likely be reduced by not running editor.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

“the external VGA screen idea does not seem to work because the mixer could not be signed into”
    I’m not sure what this means. If a VGA screen is plugged into the back of the surface, and if the surface’s video card is working, then it will see that a VGA screen is plugged in and sent its video signal to it. I don’t have any kind of password protection on either of my surfaces.

-Mark

Underscore
    Participant

Do you know from the previous repair what the problem actually was?
    Was it a physical hardware failure, or a software/firmware fault.

Profile photo of mrmkiii
    mrmkiii
    Participant

Underscore,
    The repairman found a screw or some other, metal, foreign, conductive object rolling around under the rear connector board. Once removed, the repairman said the screen booted properly. It also seemed great to us from April until December.

Mark,
    We use passwords. Since the screen cannot be used, we cannot sign in. It seems that sign-in is required for an external VGA monitor to show. I tried it today with Editor running and the surface gave no signal to the external monitor.

Profile photo of lwu
    lwu
    Participant

I had a similar problem with the touchscreen on my R72. It went white after rapidly flashing between two images. Everything else on the surface was working properly so I continued with the show and ran Editor on laptop using the editor’s onscreen controls since the little R72 has only a single encoder for practically all parameter controls and the touchscreen was essentially for selecting encoder parameter.

I am back in the office trying to figure what caused the problem but now it has only happened once and a power cycle of the surface brought the screen back. Screen is staying on so I am no further ahead on the cause of problem.

I recall the screen always seems to work when the surface is booting so I am thinking it may not be a hardware problem. I will reload the firmware next and see whether the problem occurs again before sending unit in to distributor.

I connected an external VGA monitor along with USB keyboard and mouse (hit F1 after surface completely boots up to activate mouse pointer) and I can have full control without the touch screen. Until I can figure out the cause of the problem, I will continue with the VGA setup on all shows just in case.

I also plan to check out what the System Manager software can do. I see another thread about touchscreen problem and System Manager was mentioned as another alternative. I found an iPad app (Duet Display) which enables the iPad to tether to my MacBook Pro via USB/Lightning cable and act as a second display with touch. If System Manager can enable display the touchscreen on my laptop and Duet Display app can facilitate touch via tethered iPad, I would have a fallback setup without having to pack a VGA screen. Or not but I will try and post for anyone having a similar touchscreen issue.

Profile photo of lwu
    lwu
    Participant

Finally got around to checking out DL5000SystemManager and it seems to be the same app that runs the R72. I suspect that it is the same executable as in the control surface?

I connected first with Windows 10 using an old laptop’s ethernet to the R72’s Network port. The two screens behaved like mirrored displays except Library items only show up on the R72 screen but never on the computer screen. Control is available from both the laptop (trackpad/keyboard) and the R72 (touchscreen/encoder).

I then checked connection via WiFi to the wireless router in the iDR rack and basically got the touch screen display on my laptop. However, the two displays are no longer linked in mirror fashion so essentially I have two independent control screens instead of one; I liked that.

I then connected a new HP x2 laptop with a detachable touchscreen and it worked as well as the R72 touch screen, except for the missing Library items again. This worked with both wired and WiFi connections.

I then checked connection from MacBook Pro using WiFi and it was good also. I added tethered the iPad with the Duet app to the MacBook Pro and they gave me touchscreen control similar to the HP x2.

With all these options, I don’t think I need to worry about the touchscreen going dead on me any more since I always take my MacBook Pro and iPad for shows.

Nice!

Underscore
    Participant

My suspicion why the library options aren’t available with a remote connection has to do with the USB ports being local to the surface and network architecture not allowing remote USB input/output with just the touchscreen software app.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.