IBP style phase alignment tool (preamp model?)

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions IBP style phase alignment tool (preamp model?)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jens-Droessler Jens-Droessler 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

What I’d love to see implemented (and I think it would win A&H a LOT of fans), is a model of the phase alignment hardware tools such as Little labs IBP or the radial phazer – if it’s something that could be loaded as a preamp model for instance, it would allow engineers to adjust and align phase incrementally as opposed to a time based delay (near impossible to do by ear or quickly) or phase flip (which doesn’t always get the result you want). Amazing tool for multi-mic’ing kick drums, guitar amps, choirs, overheads, acoustic guitars… the list of uses is endless

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

good idea

Profile photo of Senny
    Senny
    Participant

I like this.
    Especially for those of us who don’t like (read: can’t afford) Waves plugins.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

How is this better than just turning up delay slowly and listen in with the headphone on a mix of both signals? All the mentioned areas of use call for a steady delay. Your mics have a certain distance from each other, that means that you’ll need the same delay at every frequency, because the distance of the mics is the same at every frequency. Why would you solve the problem with something that introduces a frequency dependand delay? 90° at 100Hz is equal to a completely different distance/time of delay than 90° at 5kHz.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Jens… no these tools are slightly different,
    the change phase without a delay

sometimes this works better than a fixed delay
    phase issues are not only time related

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Phase issues aren’t, but the mentioned things are all problems of different distances between two or more mics. Those aren’t phase issues and thus can’t be reasonably fixed by shiftig phase. If you use phase alignment to “correct” a difference in distance, you will only get a very small are of frequencies right. The rest will be out of phase.

I’m not against implementing a phase shiftig tool. In fact a soft device with several allpasses (not only fixed combinations like iBP) to take on real phase issues in detail would be very nice. I’m just stating that the mentioned issues aren’t accurately fixable by phase shifting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.