How to Format USB External HD in SQ–Drive Port ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting How to Format USB External HD in SQ–Drive Port ?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 6 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

I have not been successful in formatting an external USB hard drive in the SQ-Drive USB port.

After pressing the Format button several times, the display may say “Completed 255%” ! But, the drive is not formatted.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Gogos
    Gogos
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    do you have Format your hard drive in “fat 32” before ? If you don´t have, the SQ can´t format you hard drive correctly.

Greetings
    Gogos

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Hi Gogos …

I’m formatting it now on a PC. It’s going to take quite a while. I’ll let you know how it does.

Thanks

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Well poo … no luck.

I formatted the USB HDD on a PC, plugged it into the SQ-Drive port, got the “Needs Formatting” message, but the SQ will not format the drive.

Again, after pressing the Format button several times, the display will say “Completed 255%”. The screen still states “Needs Formatting”.

So … how is one to use a high speed external hard drive rather than a USB stick/’pen’ drive as stated in the SQ Reference Guide ??

Profile photo of Gogos
    Gogos
    Participant

Hello Bob,
    1. How big is your HDD and brand ? I hope not bigger than 2TB ?
    2. Are you sure, you format it in FAT32 ? This is important ! Not only normaly Format on a pc in standard formatstyle with using the right mouse button and then format. In Windows you need a another Programm like “Fat32Formatter” to format your HDD in FAT32, Windows do it only till 32GB.
    If you do this right im sure it will works with the SQ to Format your HDD.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Yippee … success ! ☺

I was able to format the USB external HDD on a Mac (MS-DOS) and the SQ readily recognized it.

Gogos … it is a Segate 1TB drive. The display says it will do about 4 hours of multi tract recording.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

then the Mac formats to FAT32?
    good to know!

however, 4 hours for such a large drive seem to me then a little bit less… 😉

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

The four hours is the available recording time, not the formatting time.

When I first formatted it on the PC it took over 12 hours !

Then, when I re-formatted it on the MAC, it was done in less than a minute.

Maybe I should have originally formatted it on the MAC ?

Wolfgang
    Participant

I mean, the recording time.
    the disk capacity is 1TB, you should get a lot more than 4 hours of multi-track on it!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

There’s a maximum file size that Fat32 allows – 4Gb IIRC – which will give you about 4 hours Multitrack or 2 hours stereo.
    After that, you need to start a new recording.
    Really can’t imagine a situation where that limit is a problem.

Wolfgang
    Participant

that’s the answer to the question. i hadn’t thought about the 4GB limit on FAT32 at all.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Does that mean that you have 4 hours every time you press Record … up to the limit of the drive ?

For example … recording an all-day festival with multiple bands. Record first band, stop. Record second band, stop. Etc.

Wolfgang
    Participant

if you want to record a complete festival, I would use “Samplitude” or “Reaper” or something similar.
    This gives you better control over the recording and the console only has to perform its normal task.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.