Hi all, just a quick question about using QU-pad.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Hi all, just a quick question about using QU-pad.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MD
    MD
    Participant

Is it possible to use the iPad on stage to control fold backs and onstage EQ without effecting FOH operations at the same time?

Profile photo of Keef
    Keef
    Participant

Yes, for monitor levels but pretty sure EQ will be same as FOH – need to check that as I don’t have my Qu-24 in front of me.

Profile photo of Keef
    Keef
    Participant

P40 (Mix Routing) of the latest manual suggestes that you can select post or pre EQ for the monitor mixes:

Choose Pre-EQ for a monitor mix if you do not want the channel EQ to affect the monitor.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Each channel has only the one EQ. This alway affects L+R (and Groups), and will also affect Mix sends IF you’re using a send point after the EQ.

I tend to usually run my monitors from before the EQ (and so before the compressor too) so that what goes into the mix bus is flat. I can then use the EQ of the mix output if I need to change the monitor sound. That leaves me able to adjust EQ & compression for FOH without changing the band’s mixes on the stage.

The other option, if you really need a different EQ in the monitors, is to use two channels (with a simple Y splitter at the desk, or digital patching if you use dSnake box), then source your monitor mixes after the EQ, though I’d suggest still before the compressor. If you want to do this with lots of channels though, you may need a bigger desk! Or a dedicated monitor desk……

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And from a monitors engineers point of view there’s nothing that compares to actually standing on the stage where your ears are in the same space as the musicians ears to adjust fold back EQ.

Profile photo of MD
    MD
    Participant

Thanks, for the replies. I just want to check that if I’m on stage with the iPad in the mix page or adjusting foldback EQ will that mean that FOH will be in those settings or can FOH can be in L/R adjusting levels at the same time?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Reread Keef’s and MarkPAman’s posts. Your answer is in there unless I misinterpred your question.

Giga

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes, you can adjust monitor levels from an iPad at the same time as somebody else is running FOH from the desk, or even another iPad. So long as you stick to only the Mix Send levels, and (any of) the Mix master settings, you will not change the what’s going to FOH.

Of course if you turn something up (or down) a lot in a wedge, the audience will hear a difference, which means FOH will need to be adjusted, but it doesn’t tend to be a big problem in my experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.