Help — want to toggle IEM between matrix and PAFL

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Help — want to toggle IEM between matrix and PAFL

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Greetings,

Can you guys help me figure out the best way to toggle my personal IEMs between a stereo matrix mix and PAFL?

The first thing that comes to mind is to patch two outputs to the iDR’s IEM stereo mix, and assign my personal matrix output to the IEM mix. With my transmitter plugged into the outputs, any time I trigger PAFL it should interrupt the matrix in my ears.

The second thing that comes to mind …. well, that’s just it, I’m brain-locked for another way to do this. Any suggestions? …they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim ==

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Hey, Tim –

Not sure what you are wanting to hear… are you performing or mixing (or both)? Are you looking for a personal foldback mix then foh mix? I’ve done something similar mixing wirelessly and using a wireless iem plugged into the headphone jack to listen to monitor mixes, etc. while out among the punters…

Cheers,

-Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Not sure I completely understand what you’re trying to do, but if need to PAFL only inputs and that matrix (no other mixes), then it’s solved by PAFL priority that iLive already has.
    Input channel PAFL overrides Mix master PAFL. This means you can listen to a monitor mix using an Aux master PAFL, then check an input source by pressing its channel PAFL. Releasing the channel PAFL restores the Aux master PAFL.
    iLive Reference Guide, pt 2-48

ddff

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Hi, Tim. Thanks for chiming in. I’m performing while mixing from stage. My band is probably better than most at keeping things balanced, kicking in lead boosts for solos etc, and I think we end up at about 85% of where we’d be if we had an $125/night mixer manning an FOH position. My technique is simple, I start out on a RCF 12″ wedge, then after things are dialed in I pop in my ears and kill the wedge. Every few songs I pop ’em back out and walk the house. Works for me. 🙂

ddff, I want to have my personal matrix in my ears until I pop a PAFL, then I want the PAFL to override the matrix until it’s released. Thanks for your insight, I’m hoping it pans out in practice. Right now the discussion is theoretical, as my iDR is buried deep in my trailer until the next gig. I’m hoping to have this situation completely thought out so that I can implement it quickly and accurately.

Thanks guys! Any further input from anyone at all will be appreciated. 🙂

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

That will work just fine until you have to PAFL any output bus. Then you’ll have to PAFL your matrix manually once again.

ddff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.