Groups

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jsaunders
    Jsaunders
    Participant

Are we able to program groups into the Qu-16? I would like to control all the drum mics on 1 group, vocal mics on another group, etc.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hi! Not really! No DCA and no Groups.. but there are only 16Channels anyway! you should be fine with just use your “16Fingers” at once to control the whole drum! i would like to give you another answer sorry!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

This is not possible on this desk.
    I had though it may be something I’d miss, but to be honest, as I have only 16 channels, it’s not really a problem.

Profile photo of Roma
    Roma
    Participant

Groups are almost a necessity in corporate use. With a handful of Lav mics, hand held mics, and playback devices, it would be great to be able to throw a graph on all my lavs without having to eq my entire system to them. I would even be pleased with the ability to patch one of the mixes to the LR master. Do any A&H technicians have any plans of updating to allow this?

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

haven’t tried this yet but can yo go out of a stereo mix (outs) then back in to the board via a stereo in? You would have to have the faders down on the main mix though.
    I need to try this myself!!

Dwight

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

having this would be very usefull. If a band needs almost all the 16 mono channels there is no way to have all that’s important on the custom layer. If you could reduce the drums from 5-6 to 1 fader there would be room for FX and maybe mix masters on the custom layer, pause music etc. That would be great!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Well, you could always do it the old fashioned way. Assign drum mics to say Mix 9-10. Remove them from the L/R mix. Patch cables from 9-10 out to ST 1 L&R in. Use ST 1 as a group master. That is the way we did it in the old days. I just tried it. Works well. With a 2412 you can patch from OUT 9-10 over to 17-18 in. Will require a pad and appropriate gain setting..Put the ST1 on the Custom layer along with single mics that you are using. Now you have your group master…

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

@gcumbee
    You don’t have any noticeable delay? If not, i may try this at this weekend.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

No delay that I could tell. I wore headphones just talking into a mic. Could not perceive any chorusing or delay between sound to my ears and the throughput.

I patched it on a AR2412. Be careful not to get a feedback loop. I did the first time. Let me know how it works for you. Poor man’s way to get a group…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Groups would be nice to have when you are running out of faders in your custom layer. Then needing just one fader for the drums would save 4-5 faders for other things.
    The solution using the hardware patch is a work around. I would prefer to not have any extra AD/DA conversion for this.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Agreed. But what little listening test I did at matched levels I could not tell any difference. I think say on live drums the benefits would far outweigh any minor loss. Conversion is so good these days it is not worth the worry. I was a part of converter testing years ago done at my studio in Nashville. We proved our point in that no golden ears could really pick out the most expensive converters. In fact some cheap ones were just as good as very expensive ones. In the big picture things get lost and we get too strung out on stuff like that. No one hears the console in a recording. They hear the music and the song.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thx for your insight. Another disadvantage of the hardware patch is that you loose one input per group.

Profile photo of Ruben
    Ruben
    Participant

I had another idea without the hardware link.
    Set all the group channels to e.g. Mix5-6.
    deactivate the channels in LR.
    Then use the Mix5-6 as input for the FX3 or FX4 (back panel)
    I hoped that the empty rack option of FX3/FX4 will do the trick,
    but with this option the signal does not go thru the FX-modul.
    You can use a mod-fx for FX4 , then the sigal is here.
    But the signal is not dry.

That means if it would be possible get a dry signal thru the FX block, then you can use it as a group.
    disadvantage: one FX Block is needed for it.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Have to say, that’s a brilliant idea Ruben!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I see groups as a necessity. And I don’t agree with you only have 16 channels so why do you need groups. I use groups all the time, for mixing and effects and signal processing.
    I have ordered a Qu-16 for my church and the absence of groups has made me think long and hard about my decision.
    In my own PA I’m currently running a 16 channel 4 bus analogue desk that I’m looking at upgrading. Unless the Qu-16 gets subgroups or DCA’s, I’ll be buying a ZED420.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.