Group side chain

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive feature suggestions Group side chain

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

It would really make groups useful to me again if the compressors on groups could side chain to other groups.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

-Tim T

kentlowt
    Participant

Currently what I would like to use it for is during times when the band is going and the pastor comes up to encourage during the playing. I would like to group the band and side chain a compressor on it to a pastor’s microphone group. Currently I manually pull things down when he speaks so it’s not a do or die thing for me just a want. I just want the compressor to knock down the band just a tiny bit to help the speaking come through without having to push the mic up (which gets louder than I would like) or turning the band down which feels anticlimactic at that point in time.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If turning the band down feels anticlimactic then having them ducked by a compressor will feel about the same, that’s what it’s doing. What might get the effect you want is to just turn down the vocal group (if you’re using one), or just the backing vocals if you have a lot of those.

It can currently be done using outboard if you still have any lying around from the “insert” tab on the mix you want to insert on and you can patch a channel direct out for the sidechain input. You could also use an aux for the sidechain if there are multiple things you want to be able to duck the mix.

Chris

kentlowt
    Participant

This is currently what I am doing. Just looking for a smoother way to get it done.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘iLive feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.