GLD80 + AR84 + AR24 Channel Assignments

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD80 + AR84 + AR24 Channel Assignments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

I’ve been running a GLD80 with the AR24 for some time now and just introduced an AR84 into the system. I have the AR84 connected to the surface expander and the AR24 is in a rack on the opposite side of the stage. I’m attempting to modify the channel input assignments to reflect the different connection with the AR84. I’m assuming that the channels on the AR84, when connected to the surface expander port should read ‘In 33-40’ and ‘Out 17-20’.

So here’s the scenario….
    In the strip assign screen under the setup menu, I’m attempting to drag and drop a lead vox channel presently on input #15 of the AR24, to input #33 on the AR84 which is the first socket on the AR84. The drag & drop function doesn’t work in this scenario, so I merely changed the input source on the preamp tab ‘source select’ to input ‘local expander socket #1’. That works, but it resets the preamp values and still displays ‘input #15’ when hitting the ‘alt view’ button.

What I’d like to achieve is to simply modify my inputs to reflect the AR84, and retain all the preamp settings, strip color, name, etc…

Is that possible or do I need to build from scratch?

Thanks,
    Joe

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Dragging and dropping in the strip assign screen doesn’t change anything to do with actual signal routing, it just changes where stuff physically appears on the surface.

The preamps, audio channels and fader strips are all entirely separate things. “Input 15” in this case is referring to the audio channel the vocal is on. It’s getting its signal from a different preamp but it’s still channel 15, so that’s what it displays.

When you select the channel it gives you access to the settings for the preamp that is patched to that channel, but it’s not part of the channel as such.

If you set up your alt view button to show “Socket ID” it will show you the preamp number instead.

I’ve just tried to sort this out with scenes but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll leave it below in case someone can see what I’m doing wrong.

If you want to recall your original preamp settings go to your previous setup and store a scene, name it “preamp settings”. Go into the recall filter for that scene and hit “block all” then (still in the recall filter page) go to the input tab and hit the “preamp” header to unblock that from recall. The preamp part in this case refers to the settings of the preamp for that channel, regardless of which preamp may be patched there. The part that remembers which preamp was patched to which channel is called “patchbay” under the “others” tab, but you’re leaving this blocked. Make your patching changes and then recall that scene to reset the preamp settings back to what they were.

The above doesn’t actually work. I was trying to do what Sheldon Radford describes a few posts down here:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=139036.10

Different console obviously, but shouldn’t this work? (It’s entirely possible that it does work and I’ve missed something…)

For now Joe I’d recommend you do “analog scene recall” where you take a pen and write down the gain, 48V, pad, trim etc for each channel and then manually change it once you’ve changed the patch.

Chris

Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for that explanation. I think your ‘analogue scene recall’ will be the way to go. Last night when I posted my message, we didn’t have much time to fuss with it because we were off to a gig. So we’ll rebuild it this weekend sometime.

It’s too bad the drag & drop thing doesn’t include the actual signal routing, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Also, the patchbay numbering can be a little confusing. For instance, on some screens, the first socket on the AR84 is listed as ‘socket #1’, yet in reality socket #1 becomes #25 or #33 depending on whether the AR84 is connected to the surface or daisy chained to the AR24. I’m sure once I get my head around it, it will become easier.

Thanks,
    Joe

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Strip assign isn’t supposed to change routing, it allows you to lay out the desk however you want without having to make patch changes to accommodate your layout. If you want to put your subgroups directly after the channels that are assigned to them you can do that, if you want to put your vocal delay return beside the vocal input you can do that etc.

When the AB168 was released it changed the numbering a bit in that Dsnake Exp now goes up to 16.

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.