GLD 80 freezing again!

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting GLD 80 freezing again!

This topic contains 54 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stexx
    stexx
    Participant

1 Month ago i had 2 Freezes during the Show. Audio was running but the surface freezed for about 30 to 60. sec. The first Time I could Remote it by using my iPad, then it came back. In a other Show this didn’t work – but the surface came back after one Minute. In both Cases I coldn’t shut down after the show. on the Display it was saying:[19536.779427] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1741632

After this I have contact my Dealer and they replaced the internal Computer. I had to rent another GLD80 for a week…

Finnaly after they repaired my desk, the same Problem happend during the Show yesterday again!
    So the Bug is still there!

In the Company i work for, they have another GLD80 with the same Problem.
    They also replaced the Computer … And the Problem happend again – in That Case only for 5sec.

Im in contact with my Dealer again.

My Question: is there anyone else who has the same Problem ?

My desk is 9 Month old, Firmware 1.3
    I will try to update to 1.4 today ….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Yep. I had it happen on 1.4 but it was after I plugged a flash drive in and then immediately pulled it back out again. Only froze for about 2 seconds then the screen ran through everything I’d pressed while it had been frozen. I had a freeze on 1.2 that lasted longer. I don’t know how long because after 10 seconds I restarted it off with the power supply button on the back.

Chris

Profile photo of RB
    RB
    Participant

Hello stexx,

I have had this problem also, it froze 3 times in 10 months, no matter what firmware was installed, but it happened for the first time 4 months ago. Luckilly, it didn’t happened during a show, so I had time to reboot and start again. I’m trying not to use a flash drive on a console, especially for live recording, and I reboot the console after I change the console configuration.
    But I don’t know the exact answer to the problem either.

Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

I dont work for A&H but that error message is complaining about a drive error it would seem. I dont know specifically about the GLD but in most hardware configurations I have seen /dev/sda would be an actual hd not a usb device. Might be a HD going bad? Has the desk had any non-standard shutdowns or power cycles?

John

Profile photo of stexx
    stexx
    Participant

@john: A&H replaced the Computer not the Harddisk… and they had my logfile and the Screenshot of the Display. First i also thought there is something wrong with the Harddisk…

I’m running 1.4 now – no Problems so far – but you Never Know!
    It happened always out of the blue – You can’t say when.
    i didn’t record – and there was no USB Stick plugged in…

Interesting is, that in 1.4 they log a lot more Events in the Logfile …

Profile photo of Ana
    Ana
    Participant

Hi All, i have had several occurrences of the desk locking up for various periods of times over the last year or so and most recently on friday night.

What i have gathered:
    It has only done it with for shows where i am using a large amount of scenes. Current show has about 240 scene’s. Never if its a pub gig where scenes are not used.
    Locks for anywhere between 10 seconds up to about a minute, then kicks in.
    Control surface is completely unresponsive during this time but audio will still pass kick on.
    It is somewhat rare, although i did have one show last year where it would happen almost every show, but the console was only being used for the band so i was lucky enough for it not to have a big impact on the show at all. I believe half way through the season there was a firmware release that fixed some issue’s with freezing on scene change, but had no effect for me.
    Has happened in v1.2, v1.3 and now v1.4.

I will switch the console out this week for another, and also perhaps have the laptop connected for the shows in hope that if it does freeze i can at least keep using the soft buttons to cycle scenes.

Haven’t saved or looked at the log as yet :/ are they saved for long periods of time?

Also, i have a usb plugged in and load the show off of that each day. Perhaps i will just load the show and unplug it this time.

Hope we can get this resolved!

Ben Anderson

Profile photo of RB
    RB
    Participant

The only logical answer I have read at this GLD forums regarding the freezing issue is that people should be careful about system configuration. By changing the system configuration and removing a certain output type which is assinged to one of the faders or the outputs can cause the console to freeze. Also, it is wise to reboot the console after the configuration changes. Also I avoid using the usb, because any external drive that gets pluged in a computer connected to internet can have a virus or a trojan, or something that can harm the console software.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

So when it freezes is it better to just leave it alone and let it sort itself out? I’ve been restarting if it’s been longer than 10 seconds, but if the most it will take is a minute I’d leave it. In my experience it seems to freeze when you give it too much control input too quickly. My freezes have been soundchecks only, which is when I’m changing more things.

Chris

Profile photo of johnfrusketti
    johnfrusketti
    Participant

+ 1 to restart the console after a reconfiguration. Remember that if you recall a different show you are actually reconfiguring the consolle!!!
    Also, use the 1.4 firmware for a 3h musical last night, with 40 in and 20 out + an USB drive to record the show, without any problem.
    Bye
    Luca

Profile photo of RB
    RB
    Participant

What do You Chris mean by “too much control input”?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

it is wise to reboot the console after the configuration changes

I just want to clarify that the mixer configuration freeze is fixed in V1.40.

If you experience any freeze with V1.40 please submit a ticket to our Support department here and attach your event logs.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

What do You Chris mean by “too much control input”?

Changing a lot of settings very quickly, giving it a lot to do, like you would when soundchecking. It’s like if you’re talking to someone and you speak too quickly they might get confused.

Chris

Profile photo of RB
    RB
    Participant

I get it, and it might be the reason, but the last time I have experienced the freeze, the soundcheck was already over, and one band that came late was on the stage, rehersing a bit, so I didn’t do much since the sound was already prepared basically, just few monitoring corrections. It just wouldn’t mute a dca group, and since it was very near the start of the show, I have quickly unplugged the RJ45 connector, turned the console off and back on, and continued. I didn’t have time to look at the problem. At this point, I have already installed the v1.4 firmware

Profile photo of LQS
    LQS
    Participant

I’m new to the forum, but my church has had a GLD-80 for about a year and a half now. Until a few weeks ago, our system consisted simply of a GLD-80 and a single AR2412. The GLD-80 was running 1.02. During Christmas Eve services this past year, the console surface froze for about 30 seconds, but audio passed through just fine. This was the first time I observed this problem

Several weeks ago, I upgraded to 1.4. seemed stable. A week later I added in an ME-1 system, with just 2 ME-1’s to start. This past Sunday, the console surface froze again during one of the services.

We use one configuration, one show file, and have a handful of presets (one for each operator). We’re a pretty “light” user in this regard. I might have been recording to the USB drive when this happened, and I know that I was actively changing layers and adjusting controls quickly when this happened. I looked through the log file after the console became responsive again, and did not see anything abnormal. If this happens again, I certainly will transfer the log and upload it to the support site as requested. I’ll see if I can grab the log file before I leave town later this week

Profile photo of Ana
    Ana
    Participant

Had another short freeze today, lasted about 15 seconds or so.

Will send the log through to A&H, i cant see any errors in it though? unless theres more detail in one of those files somewhere.

Definitely not related to having too much control input, i pressed one button and it froze.

Ben Anderson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.