Fader Recall from Logic

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Fader Recall from Logic

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pt. pt. 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Hello!! About to pull the trigger on a QU-16. Wanted to know if the faders would recall to match my track’s DAW faders or just internal memory. Thank you!

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

I was able to pull it of using additional software (Bome Midi Translator Pro). In Logic I made 16 midi tracks going to a pseudo MIDI port of MTP. The MIDI volume of the channels in Logic are translated in MTP to the according strings and sent to the Qu. It’s only a one way street but allows you to recall the volumes.

It’s a pity that currently only one mixer (at least that I’m aware of) allows for total recall from within the DAW. The Yamaha 01V96 can dump scene settings using SysEx. When digital mixers just came out all of them could do this. Why would vendors want to abandon such a great feature? Qu has MIDI so it should be possible to implement this right?

The other route would be to have something like Elektron does with Overbridge. I’d pay for something like that because that would make it unique! You can already look at a Qu-Pac as a 32 channel interface, there isn’t a single audio interface with the same amount of I/O at this price point. There seems to be very little interaction with A&H on this forum though.

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Hello. Thank you for your reply.

I ended up buying the QU-16. It actually works great with Logic without additional software. Rough outline of steps:

1. Install A&H MIDI driver
    2. Add two Mackie control surfaces (Each only has 8 channels)
    3. Add new Monitor in MIDI Environment and route all the controls to it.

Here’s the setup video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7kyENOM-o

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

So this will also work the other way around? Control the Qu channels from the DAW? I’m going to try right away!

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

Yes sir!

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

Just tried it, I can get the custom layer to work – not the actual audio channels of the Qu itself…

Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon
    Participant

That is correct. The custom layer is for your DAW control. The others are for hard inputs and sends/FX.

Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

Did some more fiddling around with the combination of Bome MIDI translator and Ctrlr (ctrlr.org) and this enables me to control Qu’s volumes and sends from Logic and also have total recall of these settings for each project automatically.

The way it’s set up is that Ctrlr uses CC’s for all faders and pots. Each channel strip controls the volume and (top to bottom) send for ST1 – ST3 (PCM80, D-Two and spare) and the four FX’s of Qu itself. In Bome the CC’s are translated to the MIDI messages Qu requires. Probably this is all possible with Ctrlr without having to use Bome but I had didn’t look into the details of Ctrlr yet.

I’ve attached the required files for your reference.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

Updated version that only uses Ctrlr with NRPN calls as described in the Qu’s MIDI manual.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of pt.
    pt.
    Participant

Zipped the xml file and attached it…

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.