fader linking as opposed to not channel linking request

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions fader linking as opposed to not channel linking request

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I will be using an aux send (one channel of mix 9-10) to feed subwoofers when I get my Qu24 from backorder,, I hope next week.
    I would love to have mix 9-10 in my custom layer with the Main L/R fader placed next to it, I would then link the main L/R fader to the mix 9-10 fader so that when I move either one they would move in tandem.

That would be super marvy!
    Pretty please 🙂
    Dan

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

if you want to link the subwoofer level with the LR level… why you don’t just use the Main-Out for the subwoofer as well?
    another workaround would be to set all Input-levels on the AUX9-10 to zero and change this stereo-aux to POST-Fader! Now if you change an input-volume in the LR-Mix it will affect the volume level for the sub as well!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

thanks again for addressing my questions… I want stereo mains so I can’t use the left or right for subs… I will indeed have the aux mix for subs (9-10) (one channel) set to post fade so that any input fader movement will be realized in the subwoofers mix, I wanted to link the two “master” faders together so that when I change the mains level the subs are changed equally. Did that make any sense ? 🙂

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

ok i see.. but you ordered a Qu-24.. so you have two stereo matrix! Just use the Main LR as source for the matrix and set them to POST Fader! I’m not shure if you then could set the PAN to 0! in worst case you would have to combine the Signal after the matrix-stereo-output with a Y-Cable!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I think you are confused about what I want to do…
    the subs will be driven by a mono output,, in fact it will be mix out 10, which of course is mono and perfect for mono subs,
    the mains will be driven in stereo from the Main L & R. Using a Matrix will not provide a dedicated mix from an Aux send.
    Using an Aux send (mono mix) with only instruments producing low end are fed to the subs… kick, floor tom, bass, keys etc.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

combine the Signal after the matrix-stereo-output with a Y-Cable!

This is a bad idea – you need something more complicated than a Y-cable to combine anything or you risk damage to the outputs you’re using. A few resistors can be enough, but never directly connect two outputs to each other.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I don’t know the matrix in the QU24 (still waiting for the unit)
    However
    I run my 3X QU16’swith Aux driven Subs.
    Combine the outputs with 1K resistors. all balanced.

If you really wanted to use just the one fader, maybe you could use 2x “balanced hardwired XLR to TRS cables and bring the AUX9-10 (outputs) back into the ST1-2-3 input?
    It will pan just the same.
    The desk is certainly clean enough.
    I run the 2 outside desks into the inputs ST1 & ST2.
    Works brilliantly.
    Just a thought for you…

dave NZ

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sorry. lost the plot there. That’s not what you’re looking for.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

simple guys, one aux send to feed sub amps and L/R for stereo mains,,
    I am not combining outputs and don’t need stereo subs.

I do however want to link the mix 9-10 master fader to the main L/R fader so when I increase or decrease the mains the sub master rides along.

Profile photo of pkexceed
    pkexceed
    Participant

dpdan, yes! totally understand what you want to do. We do the same thing. But we prefer not to link because we like to have control over the subs. Although the feature would be very useful

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

“we like to have control over the subs”

yes, I would still have control over the subs but there would be consistency between the level of mains and subs
    if I change the mains level.

Dan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.