Editor on Linux?

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Editor on Linux?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of `Seablade `Seablade 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Has anyone had any luck running editor for iLive on a linux system? I have a permanent installation where I’d like to run two editor instances from a mini-computer (PI maybe?) and keep the whole editor side separate from the regular in-house network

I see there is a linux download, but there is no documentation. Appreciate any help

-Larry

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Larry,

Linux is not officially supported with iLive Editor, but we offer an unsupported build for Linux enthusiasts. We found it to work with Ubuntu 32bit (however we haven’t tested versions higher than 12) and Sun/Oracle Java 6.

Good luck!

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

Larry, I’m using Editor V1.91(windows ver with Wine) on Linux Mint 17 64bit. I am not using VMware as I had video issues with the VM and the Editor program.
    I have not connected for an “on-line” session, but it is working off line so far fine.

Profile photo of `Seablade
    `Seablade
    Participant

For the record:

You CAN run the iLive editor on a Raspberry Pi 3. The window refreshes are a bit slow (So dragging windows and scroll bars) but other than that thus far it seems fine, though I have only done it for a few minutes. A few things to note:

Java is installed by default on the RPi these days.
    The installer however is a compiled ELF32, so it will not run on the raspberry Pi. Simple to fix by installing on a different x86 machine running linux, (Requires a 32 bit version of glibc, so libc6-i386 on Ubuntu for instance is the package you will need) and then zipping/tarring up the folder structure and moving it to the RPi user in the same place. After unzipping/untarring it the shell script should work fine to launch the software.

Takes a few seconds to start up, but I got it connected and operating on my iLive through the wired connection. The plan is to attach it to a screen for one of my techs so he has a meterbridge in front of him constantly as we run a digital split and I am needing to make sure gains stay sensible. So yea for cheap meterbridge. Still on the lookout for alternatives though, but in the meantime figured I would let y’all know it does in fact work, albiet with some pretty minor caveats.

Seablade

Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

Thanks Seablade,

What version of the Live Editor did you use on your Raspberry 3? Where did you find your Linux version of the Live Editor (or did you have to use WINE)?

best,

Profile photo of `Seablade
    `Seablade
    Participant

To be honest i posted in this thread accidentally, got it confused with a more recent one for the record:) However that being said it still applies, so here is the answer to your questions:

You can download the Linux editor from A&H’s website, there is an online only editor there, v1.94. You have to install it on a x86 based Linux machine first to get the directory structure set up, then move that onto the raspberry pi, into the same location in the user’s home directory on the Pi (Or just modify the bash script they use to launch it, that should work fine as well I would imagine)

You cannot use WINE on a raspberry Pi as it is not a x86 based machine, it is ARM based. So nope, didn’t use WINE. The editor is written in Java so you can run it on the raspberry pi fine without it.

Seablade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.