Don't auto update the mixer app!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Don't auto update the mixer app!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Not sure if this is an app store restriction, but if possible PLEASE disable auto update of the mixer app!

We use our bassist’s iPad to control our qu-16. Turned up to do a gig and as I hadn’t noticed there was a firmware update the mixer was still on 1.6 so it ceased to work!

It’s not so easy to get the fw on a mem stick when you’re miles from a pc and an internet connection.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You must disable auto-updates on your iPad. That’s where it’s happening.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Can that be done per app?

I’d have hoped that the iPad app could have at least one layer of back compatibility- although I understand that this might Neely double the app size…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

No, you have to do it with all apps. I got caught out with this a few versions back, so auto update is now off for my iPads. It’s no big deal really though – in fact I think I prefer to know what’s been updated.

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Is it really not possible for app developers to override auto update? It goes without saying that this is fair enough to A&H if they can’t control it, but if they can I don’t believe users can be reasonably expected to change settings to safeguard one app.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Pretty sure this is not something a developer can control.
    I fact, I got bitten by a banking app, that needed an extra pin number after an upgrade, and I had not memorised it. So not just A&H.
    Turn auto upgrade off and take back control!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You still get alerted to updates, so it’s not arduous to run without auto updates…

I wonder if A&H could release a “current” app, as well as a 1.6, 1.7… Version – so you can choose to have a firmware specific one – maybe you end up using an old desk sometimes?

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Unfortunately a lot of people like the set and forget nature of auto updating so disabling it altogether is regressive…

Perhaps someone from a&h can confirm one way or another to put this one to bed.

It’s a good point about working with desks owned by other people.

Profile photo of A3aan
    A3aan
    Participant

I (too) love the ‘auto update’ function on my iPad, don’t really like turning it off – but I think I have a solution…

My dear A+H, Harry or whoever is listening: as soon as you update from V1.9x to V2.0x, V2.1x (and so on, as soon as you update to a new app-version that requires an update at the console), please add a NEW app to the AppStore. Just name the different apps ‘Qu-Pad 1.9’, ‘Qu-Pad 2.0′, Qu-Pad 2.1’ and so on. That way everyone can select the app-version belonging to (and working 👌with) the version installed on the console.

This way everyone can enjoy the Apple auto update function and still trust the system to work. Just mail the A+H owners there’s a new (downwards incompatible) app version available and everyone can choose whether (and when) to upgrade or not.

I’ll be happy to send A+H my bank account # for this💡 😎

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

But why do not update the console to the lastast firmware?

I don’t see the issue.

Richard

MarkPAman
    Participant

You need to update both the Qu & the app at the same time. Auto update can change the app whithout telling you, leaving you at a gig, with no computer, or Wifi, and an iPad that will not control the desk.

Been there, done that and didn’t like it! That was with a Qu-16 – if it had been a Qu-SB I’d have been unable to do the gig at all…..

I’ve got 2 desks and a total of 6 iThings (+ some friends devices) to update when the time comes, so I need to choose the time to do that myself. Also, I want time to learn about what’s changed before I get to the gig.

I imagine it costs A&H for each FREE app available for anybody to download, so having only one version keeps the costs down. However, as A3aan has now generously offered to pay, maybe there can be two available in future!

Also, the Qu apps are not the only things that can bite you with auto updates, so I’d rather have the chance postpone all updates to a time of my choosing.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

Apple doesn’t allow multiple versions of the same app. One of the App Store Review Guidelines is that developers should not “spam” the app store with multiple versions of the same app.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

But they’re not the same app – they control different firmware versions…

Personally I’d vote for a larger app with back compatibility, since Apple doesn’t provide any other way to select the app version needed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.