Default scene startup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Default scene startup

This topic contains 32 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of barberousse barberousse 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I thought this had been covered before but couldn’t find it. I have had a few customers complain about why the consoles always power up showing scene 1 when they shutdown with another scene active. It seems logical that if you shutdown on scene say 10 and when you power up it should display 10 on the lower screen and in the list. This is confusing. Or am I missing something? In my own use or demo or training uses we just never got into that much.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The Qu always powers up in the state it was powered down. This is not necessarily the state restored from last scene recall since faders or something else my be changed.
    Maybe the desk should better power up with no particular scene selected to avoid this confusion.
    Booting the desk with a particular scene is only available for restricted users.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I tend to agree with my customers in that it should boot up to the last scene before shutdown. I think it’s confusing the way it is.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Phew, enforced bootup scene recall only as an option, please.
    Otherwise users like myself always loose their latest adjustments just because they forget to update some scene before powering down.
    Keeping last scene selection over power cycles would be wise, though.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Then we need to take a page out of normal computer world. You quit you get promoted to save or not save or cancel. Then you have the option.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Why does a selection need to be persistent? It’s not anything to do with the desk state, it’s just a selection..

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Sorry. I don’t understand your question.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The listed scene isn’t just a “what shall I load next”, it’s a “where do I save” as well isn’t it?

That’s potentially bad. Just don’t use scene 1 for anything important (or lock it?)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I still think this is a huge oversight in what I would calm a standard logical procedure. Just doesn’t make sense. There are many times I may load a scene. Sure there might be tweaks and adjustments during that scene use but it doesn’t mean I want them saved. I can choose whether or not to update that scene to that change. That’s a choice. I should know better.
    But that scene is a base. I think the console should return to last used when posted up both layout, list on screen.
    Tell me where I am so wrong on this?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

It totally depends on use case, I think. My Qu is basically used live and I only use scene memory to keep a backup of my setup (some type of history). I do not use scenes at all during a show, sometimes I prepare a setup at home for next event to have some starting point.
    In most cases I just do a surface reset during FOH setup and do not bother with scenes at all.
    I totally understand that it may be useful to automatically load some scene (maybe last one) during startup, but for me personally this should not be the default case.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The primary customer complaint is from theatre use. In the current case it’s a music theatre that has scenes for each song in the song. They want it to come up where they left it as a base point. It is not always scene 1. It’s confusing to some of their lesser qualified ppl who are enlisted to operate it when needed.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, if they use a scene per song, why is the “last scene used” relevant for that case?
    If next song is #15 then recall scene #15. Just omit the “but only if current scene is not #15” from that instruction.
    Honestly, I rarely see a case where the next song performed uses the same scene as the one performed last before turning off the desk.
    The desk already come up where it was left, it just does not maintain the scene selector (as it does not keep the last selected channel, library selection, screen tab etc.).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

It does come up where they left it, including any changes made since the last recall/save. Only the number displayed is “1” which I know means I’ve not recalled anything yet. Maybe at this point it should display “PO” or something to indicate that it’s not necessarily any saved scene.

I don’t use scenes much though….

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, problem could be if they indeed have scene 1 for the very first song. So, after power up, scene selection already shows #1 and they may think the scene already was recalled, which, in fact, isn’t the case.
    Slowly getting it… 😉

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

OK – but if it said 12, it would only indicate that 12 was the last scene to have been selected. After that I could have re-eqed everything.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.