DAW Control Functional Details

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions DAW Control Functional Details

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jakethepeg jakethepeg 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vanceg
    Vanceg
    Participant

I understand that DAW control on the SQ series is “In Development”. I’d like to know a few things about what to expect on DAW control So that I might determine which of my customers might benefit from it and how I can help them integrate the SQ into their workflow.

Can anyone here point me to a manual or general description of how DAW control will function on the SQ series?
    Here are a few specific questions that I’d like to have answer for if anyone knows.

– I understand (from another post on the forum) that the DAW control will operate through the use of “MIDI STRIPS” which can be assigned to any layer/bank we wish. I hear that there will be up to 32 of these strips. Is this accurate and do all versions of the SQ consoles have the same 32 channel capability?

– What control protocol does the DAW control utilize? Mackie Control? HUI? ICON? Custom/Proprietary?

– If it uses Mackie Protocol, will the SQ series support more than one 8 channel bank of control at a time (Some other digital consoles only support 8 channels of Mackie control at a time… and that’s not useful for our needs).

– Can you confirm that scribble strip information is transferred from the DAW to the SQ? (will scribble strips work)

Profile photo of Vanceg
    Vanceg
    Participant

I note in the manual that it appears that MIDI Strips are assigned to layers on the console, and then the DAW CONTROL DRIVER is used to translate these MIDI messages into standardized DAW control messages. This does answer some of my questions above (I don’t know why this isn’t in the manual I had last month… or I simply missed it).

Id still love to know if the SQ and the DAW control driver will support more than 8 channels of Mackie Control Protocol at one time, and if Scribble Strips will be supported.

Profile photo of Vanceg
    Vanceg
    Participant

FYI for anyone else who may be intersted in the same information. Yes, the SQ will be able to support more than 8 channels of Mackie Control…so you can assign more than 8 physical faders to control your DAW.

I hear tell that the DAW Control Driver does not pass scribble strip information from your DAW to the physical scribble strips on the board. I hear from support that there has been some discussion of this and perhaps it will happen at some point. For effective use on a DAW, I would think that labling the track that you are controlling with a partiular fader would be critical, espeically because the function of a physical fader is assignable (what track IS it controlling right now).

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your research – I’m very interested in these capabilities

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.